Ch 18. A single white flag

Flashback

I hid myself under my car pretending to fix something that wasn't broken as tears cascaded down my face. Grease and left over mascara now stained my face and I couldn't care less. I felt defeated. I should have known better then to fall in love with a boy so perfect. So pure. But here I was shattered and smelling of gasoline.
"What ya fixing?" Juice popped his head down to peer under the car.
"Oil change." I replied.
"I expected you to bring down Harvard boy. Where is he?" He teased as he playfully kicked my shoe. I sniffed back tears before wheeling myself out from under my car. I stared at Juice his face instantly coating with worry.
"He's at home. He won't be coming around here Juicy." My best friend hugged me letting the tears soak into his work shirt.
"Let's drink about it. Sometimes your liver can handle what the heart can't."
-
The threats coming from Miguel. I wasn't sure why or how but I didn't want to know. Things were feeling normal. I was feeling safe. Or I was until his phone lit up my screen.
"What now?!" I demanded making sure no one else was around to hear.
"I give up." Miguel replied. "You're no longer mine and I need to let you go. I'm done Rhiannon. I'm done using you in my game. I'm sorry." His voice cracked at the end and I didn't know what to say this didn't feel real.
"Why?" I begged for an answer.
"Because if you love something you have to set it free. If it comes back it is yours..."he let out a loud sigh. "But if it doesn't it never was. You were never truly mine. I couldn't accept that, but I do now." The phone went dead and I fell to my knees. This meant I could go home.
-
"Is the beer helping you feel better at all?" Juice asked as he passed me another one. I shrugged staring at the amber liquid.
"If he showed up tomorrow begging for forgiveness I would give it to him." I mumbled chugging back as much as I could.
"Why?" Juice questioned squeezing my hand lightly.
"Because I know our love is real. I get I sound stupid or naive or whatever." My words began to slur. "But eight years could go by and I think I would feel exactly as I do now. If not more."
-
By the end of the week the things I had brought to Tigs were packed in a truck and I was headed back to the house EZ and I bought. It felt surreal as I stood in the doorway watching my husband talk with Tig.
"He's a good man Rhi. Your mom would have loved him!" He clapped EZ on the shoulder before walking over to me and wrapping me in a tight hug. "Come back sooner this time okay."
He kissed me cheek as I agreed. A smile had plastered itself on my face and for the first time in years I felt like it wasn't going to go anywhere. Things were good.
"I love you a little more everyday Mr. Reyes." I kissed his hand as we drove out of charming.
"I love you to Mrs. Reyes." He smirked looking at me through the corner of his eye. All the bad things that had happened to us before didn't matter anymore. We weren't the kids we were eight years ago. We were two people madly in love on our way to a new life. I finally realized not every crow had to die. The lucky ones got to survive.