CHAPTER 3 - LET'S PLAY PRETEND

- Kieran -

I thought I was heartless. But last night clearly proved me wrong.  

When I saw Alina crying in her sleep, the muscle in my chest actually ached. Some may say it broke my heart to see her in that vulnerable state.

Why was that?

I've never felt that way before.

I see girls cry all the time, mostly when I reject them without batting an eyelid. But I didn't feel anything.

Well then, why was it different for Alina?

It touched me in some way, seeing how her usual fierce demeanour was reduced to nothing but a crying mess in her sleep.

What exactly happened to this beautiful woman?

More importantly, why did I care?

She picked a cube of rock melon from her fruit cup and popped it into her mouth, looking out into the blue sea. The sun was scorching hot but it was crowded on Waikiki beach, as if the rays wouldn't deter anyone from their fun.

We sat under a huge umbrella at one of the fruit stalls, enjoying the cool shade before venturing out later.

"You puked your guts out at the front of the lobby yesterday. My shoes were ruined and the staff had to evacuate the whole area from the foul stench," I mentioned offhandedly and she choked on her fruit.

I laughed lightly, letting the unfamiliar feeling settle in me. I felt oddly lighter.

She smacked my arm, "I did not! Don't lie to me!"

Her cheeks flushed a bright pink and I smiled, God she was gorgeous.

"You can ask the front desk if you want, remember to mention to them that you refuse to believe what your husband said," I picked a chunk of watermelon from her cup and ate it.

She stared at me and groaned, "Fucking hell, not even one day here and I'm the resort's superstar."

I cocked an eyebrow, "This happens often for you?"

She looked at me and rolled her eyes, "I have a very- um- unique temperament."

"You mean a short temper?"

She swiped her arm at me and I caught her wrist, kissing her knuckles, "Easy tiger."

I've handled difficult men from the mafia, not that I've ever kissed their hands. But quick reflexes and defending myself was second nature. A little tip Alina didn't particularly need to know.

Her face flamed a bright red this time and I felt my chest expand. Watching her react to my touch was rather entertaining.

I wonder how she'll respond when I kiss her breathless and slide deep inside her-

"I'm starting to think you just want to hang around to annoy the hell out of me," she took her hand back and continued picking at her fruit.

"Isn't that the main goal for all husbands?"

"You clearly aren't husband material."

"You just don't know me that well yet."

"Who said I wanted to get to know you?"

I brushed my fingers across her soft pink cheeks, "If you knew the real me, you'll run the hell away from me darling."

She gave me a look, a curious one and leaned across the table. A small gap was all that was separating our hungry lips.