CHAPTER 11 - IF YOU'LL HAVE ME (+18)

- Kieran -

Even the night couldn't dull her shine.

Her pale skin seemed to glow, the icy silver of her eyes were like molten mercury and her touch was warm.

At least this was fulfilled, walking under the stars with her.

It was almost painful to leave the comforts of her bed after sating our needs for two hours. But I wanted to do this and she seemed happy to oblige.

"It's probably been years since I stepped into the garden. Much less take a walk around the estate," she squeezed my hand and I registered that touch to memory.

"Why is that?"

She tensed slightly and I brought her hand to my lips, kissing each knuckle lightly, "I'm sorry, I shouldn't pry."

Her gaze flicked up to me, the gentleness she contained was overwhelming.

Lucy's words rang in my head.

She's as broken as you are.

"I miss this, the cool night air and the stars. The expanse of the night sky is so, comforting," she whispered.

She looked up at the sky, her eyes glistening with unshed tears.

I wanted to hold her, tell her I would be here for her. But I couldn't, I only have one day to go.

I ran my fingers through her hair and she looked at me, the vulnerability back in her depths.

"You can tell me anything you know? I'm sure that's part of the husband deal," I assured her and pressed a kiss to her forehead.

She giggled lightly, "Are you sure you've not taken up this role before? You seem to be doing extremely well."

I wasn't. I wasn't doing well.

We continued walking, "I'm pretty sure I wasn't anyone's husband before."

"You got along with my dad, even with his direct verbal attacks."

"I handle difficult people all the time darling."

"That's the part of you that you wouldn't want me to find out right?"

Her gaze pierced me and I knew what she was getting at. The very reason we couldn't commit to one another was because of the darkness of our pasts keeping us apart.

It seemed to click then, my rightful place.

An unloving person like me could never be with her.

"Some things are better left unsaid, don't you think?"

She nodded, "Agreed."

We rounded the side of the huge mansion and I finally decided to ask her, "Why did you leave?"

"I'm sorry?"

"Why did you leave Hawaii?"

Why did you leave me?

She didn't make eye contact, just looked away and back up at the sky, "I didn't see a need to stay."

"We had an agreement."

"I have a company and a convention to return to."

"You could have told me."

"And then what Kieran? Have you fucking some other girl while you waited for me to return to our temporary paradise? Or have you follow me back and take your dreaded place as my fake husband?"

"Alina-"

She took a deep breath to stable herself and stepped away, "I'm sorry. The stress of having a company weighing on my shoulders is getting to me."