CHAPTER 10 - QUALITY TIME

- Kieran -

Time has a wonderful way of showing us what really matters. 

And it fucking sucks.

Because the moment I sat down at the table for dinner with Alina and her father, I knew I would never get a family dinner as close to this again.

I would return to having meaningless small talk with women at the dinner table and check into a hotel for some sex before leaving first thing in the morning.

Would I even want to sleep with any other woman after Alina and I were done?

“So what’s your plan after you’re done playing with my daughter?” Mr Simmons spat out and Alina choked on her red wine.

I glanced at Alina and handed a napkin to her. My expression remained the same as Mr Simmons waited for my reply.

“I’ll probably resume with my work schedule. I don’t have much to do outside of that. Alina has been great company throughout the week, I’ll never forget the times I’ve had with her,” I took a swig of the flavourful wine, letting it distract the beating of my heart.

“I'm sure you will. You don’t intend to continue this relationship with my daughter?”

“Dad!” Alina scolded and I placed my glass down.

“Maybe if our paths cross again in the future, I don’t think we’re ready to take things seriously yet. Am I right Alina?” I diverted my attention to her and she blinked a few times before straightening herself.

Her defences are up.

“He’s right dad. Besides I have you around to take up all my spare time anyway,” she finished her wine and her father shook his head.

“I’m not going to have grandchildren any time soon with you hovering around me Alina. I’m sure Kieran can help with my lack of grandkids.”

She choked again and a small smile slipped on my face, “Are you okay darling?”

She glared at me and snatched the second napkin from me, wiping her lips.

Lord knows how much I want to taste those lips again.

“I’m glad the doctor discharged you from the hospital but I’m wondering if he missed out the part to check if you’re sane,” Alina mumbled and refilled her glass.

“This girl is more old fashioned than me my boy, I swear she didn’t even know kids existed until a few years back when her mother started pestering her to get married,” Mr Simmons rolled his eyes and shoved another piece of meat into his mouth.

Alina’s mother? I’ve never heard any news about her.

“Mum never forced me to have kids or to get married. You have this blissful fairytale going on in your head for me but I’m not your regular Princess dad. I’m a fucking Queen,” Alina drank her wine up and poured more into her glass.

I raised a brow, she is a Queen. But she’s also borderline drunk.

“Alina sweetie, stop chugging your alcohol down like that. I want to talk to you, not the crazed drunk version of you,” her father pulled the bottle of wine away and she eyed him.

“I’m not getting married to Kieran dad, or have his kids. Commitments suck and I don’t want to miss him every damn day, every hour, with his stupid face in my head on repeat. Connor was nice to me dad, I thought that was enough. It’s not, nothing is ever enough. I don’t have enough time, not with you, not with Kieran and not with mum. I don’t want to be left heartbroken again dad please,” her eyes were fiery as she stared at the glass of wine.