Chapter 10 | Answers

Elena's P.O.V

(*Psst... Acheron right there 👆)
Credits : tmblr.co

"Not this...ahh...no not that either..." Cynthia's constant sounds of distress filled the large library. She was rummaging through various shelves filled with all sorts of books. Ghosh, why does she need this much books? Is Google and all not enough? I'll never understand people's love for books and reading. Reading was never my thing. I hope she does not ask me to go through anything, that'll be excruciating.

My patience is running thin and it's becoming really hard to keep my curiosity at bay.

"Cynthia?

"Yes darling?" She answered, still bent over the dusty leather bound books.

"Before you proceed with my practice and all, you know that I do want to know more about my life right? So...you'll tell me everything right?" I asked, hoping to receive a positive answer.

She stopped flipping pages and looked straight at me, an unreadable expression crossing her features. She quickly masked that with a faint smile. "Sure, it's my responsibility as your mentor." She steered right in my direction and took a seat in front of me.

"Go for it, ask away. I'll try my best to answer them all." She smiled and poured hot steaming coffee into two mugs and placed one in front of me.

"Um...where do I start...okay, can you tell me a bit about my parents?" She certainly wasn't expecting that question as her eyes bulged out.

She slightly coughed to cover her surprise and proceeded to talk. "Your parents, hmm... Claire was a really beautiful person, still is. So was Mason. They were such a pretty pair, made for each other, until Zedd decided otherwise." She paused for a slight duration, a sigh escaping her slim lips.

"Claire was always the naughty type, occasionally sneaking out to meet him. I would sometimes cover for her. Everything was going well until Zedd declared Azazel her betrothed. She completely broke down and even tried to kill herself. I always envied their love you know, in a good way. I'd never seen anything quite like that. At last, her engagement arrived and she had to comply as she was scared to inform Zedd of her forbidden relationship."

"Who's Azazel? I haven't heard of this person before. And Mason...is he my..?"

Her eyes darkened, "Oh you wouldn't want to know sweetie. Azazel means bad, so stay away from him. He's Zedd's most favorite, no wonder he's a good for nothing chaotic mess. And Mason, well, he was and still is Claire's lover. It'll forever remain that way. Anyways, Claire got engaged to Azazel and there was literally nothing she could do. Zedd greatly rejoiced their relationship as they both could produce powerful heirs. Both Claire and Azazel were powerful in their own ways and you could only imagine how strong their kids would turn out."

No wonder I was a disappointment.

"Don't say that honey, you're not a disappointment. Hell, you're anything but a disappointment." Heck, did I say that aloud?

"So...how was my dad?" I steered the conversation painfully.

She remained passive for a second, not quite knowing how to answer that question. It seemed as if she was battling with her inner emotions. Almost like she was...confused and didn't know how to answer that.

"H-He was very powerful...strong and intelligent." Why was she suddenly nervous?

"Wait...You said my dad was a human right? I thought that made Mason weak?" This doesn't make any sense at all.

"Well, yes he's a human and is the bravest of all mortals. There are other things you have to know in order to put two and two together. Claire soon after the engagement found out that she was pregnant with Grayson. She was devastated and knew that she'd be doomed if Zedd found out. She tried keeping it a secret but failed since her bump started to show. Mason didn't even hesitate to go right in front of Zedd and ask Claire's hand in marriage. The chances were slim, but he didn't even flinch when Zedd dragged him away to his dungeons. Claire threatened Zedd that if the baby was killed, she'd commit suicide. Since Claire was the only chance for a heir, he agreed."