Chapter Twenty-Two

Mirajane glanced at Cana and motioned at the door. She needed to get some time tonight to talk to Lisanna. She knew all about Mating Season. Cana nodded and stood. "Well, it's late, we better get going," Mirajane said. Wendy gave her a wave. "Bye, Mira! Bye, Cana! I'm glad you were able to come over tonight!" She said happily. Cana and Mirajane waved as they left, making their way out of the apartment and towards their own Fairy Hills rooms. "See you tomorrow, Cana." The white-haired Take-Over Mage said, opening her door. "What did I say about spending time with me?" She demanded. Mirajane rolled her eyes and Cana pushed in past Mirajane. "Sorry! Mating Season!" She said it with a smug smirk. Mirajane rolled her eyes as she made her way to the connected bedroom to find Lisanna. Cana rolled her eyes and plopped onto the couch to wait for her Mate.

<><><>

Erza and Lucy were the second couple to go, making their way down the stairs. Lucy blinked as Erza started to make her way to the right. "You coming?" Erza asked. Lucy hurried after her. "What? Where?" She asked. "If you need to stick around me, then you might as well come to my apartment." Lucy blushed a bit and nodded, following after her with a wide grin. She was excited to see the inside of Erza's apartment. She wondered what it was like. She felt that familiar fluttering feeling inside of her at the thought. Wow. Even after all this... after us getting together she can still make me get all flustered. That's love. She sighed with a lovestruck smile on her face.

<><><>

Gray stood and Natsu hopped up after him happily. "Bye, Wen!" Natsu said. Gray waved at the remaining guests as they made their way out of the youngest Fairy Tail member's apartment. I wonder what he thinks about that... does he want us to act differently? Does he mind if we keep fighting? Because it's a good emotional release after a long day... and it's fun to see who wins... "GRAY!" Natsu shouted, pulling Gray from his thoughts. "What?" He asked gruffly. "I was trying to talk to you! You were glaring pretty intensely at that tree." Gray blinked and found he was glaring at a seemingly innocent tree. "I was just thinking." He said. Natsu looked at him, raising an eyebrow. "What were you thinking about?" Natsu asked. Gray didn't respond instantly, contemplating whether he should tell Natsu about his thoughts. "Just... about us." Natsu gave him a surprised look. "What about?" He pushed. "It's just... we were enemies and then we were teammates... and now we're... Mates... and I just don't know how we should act. Do we still fight? Are we one of those weirdly affectionate couples? What do we do?" Natsu shrugged. "Why do we have to know how to act? Why don't we just act? You always over think things, Freezer." He said. Gray stared at Natsu. Opposites... "You're right. Gosh, never thought I'd say that to you." Natsu have him a smug look, followed by a glare. Gray laughed as the two walked down the pathway. I always over think things. Natsu always under thinks things... maybe that's another part of reaching that equilibrium. People aren't meant to be on their own, they're meant to surround themselves with others who complement them in ways they need, whether they're friends or something more.

<><><>

Freed slipped his hand into Laxus's as soon as they had left the apartment, smiling. Freed didn't even know how long he'd wished he could do that. Too long to remember, honestly. And Laxus wanted to as well. If one of us had spoken up sooner, perhaps we would have been together longer... but perhaps we wouldn't have. It's best not to think of how you could change the past. You can't change it. It's best to look forward and see the goodness that stands there. Freed glanced at Laxus. That was the goodness that stood in the future. He tightened his grip on Laxus's hand and saw the blonde look at him. Freed gave him a broad smile and pulled on his hand, bringing the taller man down towards him. Laxus gave him a confused look and Freed wrapped his arms around his neck, pulling him down the final few inches he needed. Freed pressed his lips against Laxus's, making the blonde grunt in surprise. He didn't stay upset, however, and wrapped his arms around Freed's waist. There was a blissful few moments where the two could see fireworks behind their closed eyes... and then there was a familiar voice crying out. "EXCUSE ME! There are children present in this apartment! Would you mind not groping each other in public?!" Carla. Of course it was that Exceed. Laxus was about to pop off, but Freed blushed and nodded. "Sorry!" Freed led the pair off and Laxus rolled his eyes before followed after him.