Chapter Thirty-One

A/N: ALRIGHT! I have found my creative spark for this story yet again and will try to update at the least once every two days! I know this story has gone on forever and I intend to finish it before Christmas break! (Haha, I can even hear my future self laughing at me). Anyways, I'm on chapter thirty-four right now, so here's a chapter to celebrate! Oh! One more thing! I'm super excited for the response to Levy and Cana's rescue, so the next few chapters may come out a bit quickly! The horror, right?

Freed prepared himself as the shadowed form took him to the cave. Even when he was prepared, the coldness that followed the transportation was still enough to make him shiver. Alright, Freed. Don't worry about Laxus. He's going to be fine. He's strong and smart... and handsome... Alright, I'm getting off topic! The fact of the matter is that I'm not going to worry because he's going to be perfectly fine and I don't need to worry. Not at all... and now I'm talking to myself. That's just great. Freed took a deep breath to calm himself from his worry. He really had no reason to worry. Everything was going to be fine.

<><><>

Natsu looked over at Gray and pulled his hand down his face in frustration. Dang it, Natsu! Just tell him you want to mark him! Don't be a wimp! Even Wendy was able to do it! Lucy too and she had to mark Erza of all people. I bet she was terrified too! Geez, how did she even do that?! Okay, me, that's a bit off topic! Now, focus! You're supposed to be getting Gray to let you mark him and you're here talking to yourself in your head. Maybe my dad was right. Maybe I an a bit insane... but that's besides the point! Natsu shook his head to get rid of the thoughts and moved towards Gray who was sitting only a few feet away. "Hey, Gray." He said loudly. The blacked-haired Mage looked up. "What?" He sounded aggressive, but that was just how he always sounded. Natsu opened his mouth to speak, but now that he was about to do it, it all seemed a bit... terrifying. Come on, Natsu! You were raised by a freaking dragon! You took on the magic council! You can tell Gray you want to mark him! Natsu's resolve hardened and he looked at his Mate with a fire in his eyes. "Gray, I want to mark you." The man's eyes widened a bit and there was a beat of silence. Gray seemed unable to speak for a moment, but he regained his ability soon. "Alright." He breathed. Natsu leaned forward to finish their Mating Season, but Laxus burst into the cave. "It's Freed! I can smell him!" He shouted. Natsu let out an unintelligible growl as he climbed to his feet, Gray doing the same. "Come on!" Natsu cried as he ran after Laxus down the twisting and winding halls of the cave. I had just got the words out and now I have to wait?! Stupid Laxus and his stupid Mate... Natsu knew he was being unreasonable, but he didn't care. He was upset. He just wanted to mark his Mate, to finish all this crap and finally have Gray as his own, but now... Natsu let out another sigh of frustration. Gray looked over at him and gave him a sympathetic look. "Sorry, Flamebrain." Natsu gave him a glare, sprinting ahead. Soon the pair were in a race to see who could beat the other there. Of course Laxus was the first there, running his heart out to save his Mate as soon as possible. Natsu and Gray came barreling through the cave so quickly that they both ran face first into the runes, falling ungracefully to the floor with identical grunts of pain. The others appeared soon after and gave the two looks of disappointment mixed with amusement. "You can do it, Laxus!" Wendy cried as she and Chelia appeared, both having jogged to get there instead of running. "Yeah! You got this!" Chelia joined in. There was a bit of cheering before the cave walls shook to the beat of an unseen monster's steps. Laxus squared his shoulders and stepped forward, determination shining in his eyes like a beacon of light.

<><><>

Freed looked down at his boyfriend, watching as he prepared for the monster that was taking its time to get into the cavern. Suddenly it came into view. The beast was so tall that its head almost touched the cage that Freed was held in at the moment. The Rune Mage looked down with wide eyes, his own thoughts of keeping himself from worrying disappearing as he looked at the monster. "Be careful, Laxus!" Freed cried from above, worry shining through in his voice. Laxus looked up for a moment, their eyes meeting. The blonde's eyes turned soft for just a second before they turned to the creature. Upon looking at his enemy, they turned harsh and cruel. Lightning crackled in the air and suddenly Freed pitied the dragon-like beast that Laxus looked at with such great hatred. It's just doing its job... it's supposed to do this... what if Laxus kills it? Freed quieted his worries. Laxus wouldn't kill the monster. He wasn't evil. He'd probably hurt it, but he wouldn't kill it. Of course he wouldn't. Freed relaxed a bit and watched as his beloved started to summon up his strength and face the creature that was at least ten times his height head on.