37

Athena was sitting at the roof top. She was looking at the grand city before her. Taking in the bustling sound of traffic and beautiful setting sky.

She could see hues of every color, mixing to create the picture of a sun set.

The girl let out a sigh as she felt the buzz of her cell phone.

It was the group chat.

She read through the string of texts and smiled at the guys antics, until they started talking about her.

She bit her lip as she turned the phone off and set it to her side. She felt so guilty, it was like a mountain rested on her shoulders.

She was to scared to tell them. Not just of how they would act, but of what would happen.

She knew deep down that she would fall for him, she probably already has. But she also knew that she would weigh him down.

She knew that, and she had to make sure he did too.

"Just answer." She whispered to herself and with a shaky hand pressed that call button.

After a few rings he finally answered. "Lane?! Where have you been?! I have been worried sick! Do you have any idea how badly you scared me?!!! I thought that something had happened to you!!!" Jackson's tone was worried yet harsh. He sounded furious and hurt because of her actions.

This cracked her heart.

It felt like it was made of glass.

"Jackson, I realized something... I am not part of your world and you are not part of mine... we were brought together by a stupid accident... I-it was dumb of-f me t-to thin-nk it mean-nt a-anything." She took a deep breath as she used her other hand to wipe away the tears that started to fall from her face. "I am ok. I am sorry for scaring you. But don't call me because I will not answer. I don't want to talk to you anymore. I want to forget you... you should forget me too." And without a second for him to answer she hung up and turned off her phone.

Athena knew she was being harsh, but that is what it took. When she looked back out to the sky, she realized that the sun was set and the sky was black. She couldn't even see the stars.

That is when she decided to go inside.

-

When she got to the room no one was there. The space was desolate and empty. She started to sniffle when the realization hit her.

The girl was never fond of crying in public. She would always bottle it up until she was alone and deal with them by her self.

She didn't want to bother anyone.

They were her problems after all.

She stuffed it all into her little glass heart.

"Athena?" Someone said "Why are you crying?"  That is when she realized the someone was Jackson. He had come down the stairs and was now coming towards her with a worried face.

However, when he started to get close, she tried to escape to her room. " What's wrong? Do you want a hug?" His eyes looked into hers.

"Nothing is wrong. I do not need a hug." She quickly replied trying to turn the nob of the door handle.

Before she could, a hand stopped hers. "Well, if you don't need one, I certainly do." He said opening his arms with a warm smile.

His eyes were full of hurt.

She wanted to run into his arms and tell him to not worry. That the world would keep turning, and time would heal.

But she hesitated. She didn't want his kindness, she wanted him yell and curse her name. Instead, he stood there with open arm in pure kindness.

It was like, he was taking a hammer to her heart.

When she didn't respond, he swept her into his arms.

He was warm. She felt safe. She wanted to stay like that with him, but she couldn't. And it hurt like hell.

That's when he had shattered it.

Her glass heart.

[Don't Forget To Vote]