Love Versus Lust

What is love? I mean, how would you know that you've really fallen in love? How would you know that this person is right for you? I mean, when you read books, watch movies, listen to songs, all you hear about is feeling and emotions. Aren't these feelings the same as the infatuations and crushes we have?

I think anytime we feel a certain form of attraction or feeling for someone of the opposite sex, we think we love the person. Love is much more than that, it's deeper. God's love is a perfect example. He died for us, sacrificed for us and gave us His everything.

Love is a commitment which comes with pure intentions. In the context of a marriage, a relationship or a friendship, you should be ready to love the other person no matter what. Love looks beyond flaws, mistakes and imperfections.

Love says, "I love you because I choose to. I love you because I want to. I love you for who you really are." A perfect example is God. He loves us too much. In spite of our sins, He still wants a relationship with us (Romans 5:8)

Lust on the other hand would love or like you because of what you can do for the other person or what you have. Lust says, "I love you because of what I can get from you. I love you because of what you have."

Immediately these things disappear, "love" also disappears. Lust does not have any pure intentions. Oftentimes, it is an impure desire to have sexual relations with the opposite sex.

When lust gets what it wants, it just leaves. On the other hand, love gives and expects nothing in return. God gave His only son. He only wants us to accept His offer of love to us.

Love is a knowing and a conviction. When you really love someone, you would know in your heart. You would be convinced that you really love the other person. You would know that you are ready to make a commitment.

Lust on the other hand is just chasing after feelings. These feelings are so fickle; they would come and go. Love endures forever (1 Corinthians 13:8)