Chapter12

"I want to go with you," I whispered.

Thranduil looked at me and suddenly hugged me. I was surprised and just stood there, stiff as a rock.

"Um…"

He didn't seem to let go and in the back of my mind, as brave as he wanted to seem I knew he was nervous. I wrapped my arms around him.

"Go," I said, feeling like if I held him any longer I would get feelings I didn't want.

Thranduil left the room and I stood there. The more he was cold to me, the more he was kind, all the more I got confused. Being married to him, I couldn't help but get feelings for him. It wasn't right. He was tied to his past and I hoped for a new future.

I walked out of the room and ran around wondering what to do. I ran out and to the gate but I could only see the bodies of orcs lying around. I followed the trail of their bodies and saw Legolas standing near the edge of the river.

"Legolas!" I called to him.

"They got away, didn't they?"

Legolas nodded. He looked tired.

"Where is your father?" I asked.

"He went after them," Legolas said.

I looked out and could see nothing, and no one.

"Let's go, most of the guards have returned to the palace. Once my father comes back he will expect us there," Legolas said.

"No, I want to go back with him, not before him," I said.

"Now is not the time to be stubborn," Legolas said. "He told me to make sure you stayed safe, and that is what I intend to do," Legolas said.

"Alright," I said looking around for a plan.

Legolas starting walking back and I jumped into the river. I was a pretty good swimmer and the current had settled down a little.

"Aranel! You're going to kill yourself," Legolas said running after me, but the current was moving too fast for him to keep up.

I didn't expect the waves to be so rough. I didn't have good control over my body and the water seemed to rock me around like a puppet. My legs flopped violently under the water and I was getting tired. As the river dipped down, the current picked up, and I was being dragged under water. I tried to fight the water but it was hard to stay afloat.

I didn't think it through, but there was no time to think. I wanted to know Thranduil more. I didn't want anything to happen to him. What was I doing? Was I really risking my life to save a man who treated me so badly? I held onto the hope that I could change him. Even if he never got feelings for me, I just wanted to make him happier.

Water was rushing into my nose and I started choking. I could feel myself drifting as my eyes closed. My chest began to feel like there was a giant bolder on it. My mind began to go blank and everything disappeared from me.

I suddenly woke up coughing up water. My vision was blurry and I couldn't really make out anything.

"Aranel."

"Thranduil?" I asked putting out my hand.

I felt him grab my hand. My head pounded as he entwined his fingers in mine. I blushed at the thought that he probably saved me with mouth to mouth.

"I told you…"

"I know," I said.

"Never go against me again," He said letting go of my hand.