5

"Thanks, mrs. Strode!" I said cheerfully as I accepted the plate of fresh pancakes.

Laurie's mother waved me off with a smile.

Nearly a year had passed since I escaped from Smith's Grove. I had gotten a job in retail, and I worked during the weekends. Laurie and I went to class together, and she lived across the street from me. We soon became friends.

She was a pretty good friend, albeit different from me in both interests and morals. We still often had good times together.

The Strodes knew of my circumstances and were gracious to offer me breakfast or lunch often.

"Did you read the book for today?" Laurie asked me as we finished our food.

"Of course not."

"Tina!"

I laughed as we stood up, ready to go to school.

"Wait, drop this at the Myers' house," Laurie's dad said before we left the door.

My face fell at the name, but I hid it quickly. I didn't forget about Michael. I wanted him to escape. He was a good friend. And infamous across Haddonfield.

As we made our way to the abandoned house, Tommy, the boy Laurie was babysitting, caught up to us, preaching about the boogeyman.

"Tina! You believe me, don't you?" The boy pleaded as we neared the broken down home of Michael Myers.

It wasn't my first time there. I had snuck inside once before, but the house was dirty, empty, and held no remnants of Michael's life.

"Of course! The boogeyman is always watching, Tommy, he will strike whe you least suspect it!" I teased the boy, grabbing his shoulders as he yelped. I burst into laughter as Laurie unsuccessfully tried to tell me off.

I watched with Tommy as Laurie approached the house, slipped the packet through the mailbox and came back, unharmed.

I sat next to Laurie in our Literature class.

"And what did the protagonist think of this new ordeal she has wound up in?" The teacher asked. I'd been lifting my hand during the whole class, despite not having read the book.

"She had mixed feelings, really. It was as if some sort of mist had entered her mind. She felt unsure, she questioned everything," I said. Laurie kept rolling her eyes at my lies as the professor seemed impressed.

"Exactly! Tina, you're truly exceptional! I'll have to give you an A for the good work," the processor said. I smiled smugly at Laurie, but Laurie was staring out of the window.

I nudged her, and she flinched.

"Seen a ghost?"

"No... someone staring at me from across the street... Had a mask," Laurie explained. I smiled.

"Never too early for Halloween!"

As I chatted with Laurie on our way home, she suddenly stopped in her tracks, looking straight on.

"Someone was looking at me! From the hedge over there!" She said, sounding freaked out.

I rolled my eyes. Laure wasn't easily spooked, but once something scared her, she would remain scared until sure the threat was gone.

I looked at the direction she was pointing at, and there was nothing there.

I sent her a doubtful look.

"He just moved! He was wearing a white mask, like a face or something!"

"Ooh, was he hot?"

"Tina!"