7

My heart stopped beating for a good few seconds. I nearly jumped out of my skin. Fear was cursing through my veins instead of blood now - there was someone in my house.

As silent and careful as a cat, I bent my knees and made nearly no noise apart from my full nose deciding to whistle as air flowed through it. I was ready to either fight or flee, depending on what I saw.

I pushed the kitchen door open and hid behind the wall. My heart was hammering against my ribcage, posing a serious threat of breaking through and running away to safety.

I leaned forwards and peered into the kitchen.

There was a large silhouette standing still in the centre of my kitchen. There was a spoon in their hand they were staring at the broken pieces of a bowl on the floor as if their whole life was ruined.

My hand reached for the light switch.
"Mikey?" I asked, unable to hide the excitement from my voice. He nodded in my direction and kept looking at me.
I suddenly felt angry.

"What the fuck are you doing here?" I asked. He tilted his head in confusion. I growled and approach him, jabbing my finger into his chest.

"You betray my trust and then waltz into my house like nothing happened?" I asked. He looked down on me and tilted his head again. His dark eyes betrayed nothing but confusion.

Did he really not get it?

"Michael. I told you that I'm staying off the radar, and that I can't be seen doing anything bad! And having a serial killer walk out of my room really doesn't help! And you didn't respect me! You tried to kill me, to make matters worse!" I said. Michael's gaze softened, and he reluctantly placed his hand on my shoulder. The action took me by surprise, and I could only stare.

"Don't do it again." I muttered, and he nodded,removing his hand from my shoulder and crouching down to pick up the pieces of the broken bowl.

I watched him in silence, my head swarming with thoughts. I was so mad at him, but turns out he was just an idiot.

He threw the pieces in the thrash can and opened the fridge, his eyes looking for anything edible.

"I have nothing, I'm broke, Mikey. I'm going trick or treating to get some sweets. By the way, I killed someone already, and it's your fault for pissing me off."

Michael tilted his head and I was sure he grinned under his mask, as his eyes were dancing with pride and excitement. I snickered.

" I knew that death turns you on!" I said, and Michel quickly turned his head away and growled, making my grin even larger. I loved teasing him, especially when I knew he wouldn't murder me for it.

"Alright, I'm off. You do whatever, my home is yours, but you can only use the widow to get in and out. I'll put my collection behind the house, and then I'm going to babysit some kid with Laurie. I hope you're good at covering your tracks. Have fun or whatever."
Michael nodded, leaning onto the counter as I turned around, going to my room to get the mask he had given me. It felt like centuries had passed since then.

"Mikey, look at my mask!" I said and walked back to the kitchen, but he was already gone, the window in the hallway wide open. I sighed, the slightest bit of disappointment running through me, but I shook it off. I'd get to see him soon enough. Unless he got caught. 

Was I really okay with being friends with a killer? He would never have a normal life. Not unless he decided to live a double life. But he spent most of his life locked up, he didn't really know how the world worked. And I'd never seen him without a mask, either - would he ever take it off? I couldn't imagine having a best friend whose face I'd never seen. How would he even function when he gets older? There was no chance that he could stay in Haddonfield forever, unless he was super sneaky and careful, which he wasn't. I could imagine someone leading a double life in that quiet town, but Mikey stood no chance. Once a couple of armed men were onto him, he would either get killed or captured. Or both. 

The cold wind bit my skin as I mingled with the mass of masked kids. Although my costume was pretty plain and boring, the adults were kind enough to fill my bag with sweets, as well. I gobbled down some as soon as I got it until my belly felt full. 

Once not a single chocolate more could fit, I walked back to my house and put the bag under my window. Before leaving to Tommy's place, I stuffed some sweets into my pockets. I left the rest for Michael. 

On my way over, bad thoughts couldn't stop plaguing my mind. What if I got caught? Maybe the guy I killed survived. But either way, he was at least seriously injured and I'd go back to Smith's Grove if I got caught. Or straight to jail. I couldn't deny the bloodlust felt good, but I also wasn't sure whether I was ready to live such a life. Well, I probably should've thought of that earlier, before freaking out and killing so many people. Did I really want a normal life? I wasn't sure. I'd go off to college soon enough, and probably forget all about Michael, all about my dark past, all about Haddonfield and Smith's Grove...

The thoughts made my heart ache, for some reason. A spark of anger was lighting me up from the inside. I definitely could not settle to a life of boredom just like that. Ugh. 

I punched a tree I was passing by with great force, feeling the pain shoot up my wrist from the impact, yet lessening the intense anger I was feeling slightly. The truth was that I was all alone. I had nobody. Laurie would forget me, Mikey would forget me, and I'd be all alone. I always was and always would be. No family to turn to, no friends to have my back... 

Why couldn't I just be normal? Laurie had everything I didn't have. A family, friends, a good personality, a good past and a bright future. All I had was a crazed mind and a bloody fist.

I just wanted a place to call home. Being locked up at least gave me a faint sense of security.

I steered the negative thoughts away from my mind before I lost control again. My fist was all bloody already, and some trick or treaters had really punchable faces....

Finally, I reached the Doyles' house. It wasn't to shabby, definitely better than the old wreck I lived in. A pleasant home. Trees lined the residential street, twisting and writhing in the dusk wind.

I gave the doorbell a ring, and heard Laurie's voice answer from within :
"Tommy, get the door, I'm on the phone!"

I couldn't stop a tiny smile from forming behind my mask. Perhaps the evening wouldn't be so bad.

I heard the lock click, and then the door opened, reveling little Tommy. He likely didn't know who I was, since I did wear a mask, so I took it as an opportunity to frighten him.

"The boogeyman has come from your soul, little Tommy!" I said in the darkest and most sinister voice I could muster. The boy's face turner deathly pale, sending a shiver of excitement down my spine. I loved the face of terror.

A shrill scream escaped him lips as he bolted into the house, followed by Laurie yelling his name. Meanwhile, I burst out laughing.

"Tina, I will honestly murder you one day!" Laurie scolded as she saw me standing by the door, while she was wielding the pumpkin-stained carving knife. I grinned and let myself in.

"Nice to see you too, Laurie. It's going to be a fine evening, I already know!"

Oh how wrong I was...