8

"Tina, stay with Tommy for a bit, I'm talking to Annie and she's being a prick," Laurie told me as she closed the door behind me, running back to the kitchen. I heard her muffled voice once again as she spoke to Annie.

I slid the mask off my face and grinned at Tommy, who now also brandished a smile.

" Tina! I thought you were the boogeyman!" he said, giving me a tiny hug. My whole body tensed when he touched me - I wasn't really fond of human contact. I hated every moment of it, but luckily, the kid pulled away quickly.

"Ah, I'm not the boogeyman, you mistook me for my friend, he's the boogeyman. But I doubt he'd come for you, little guy, you're to scrawny, there's not much to eat on ya," I teased, maintaining a serious expression as I brushed past him calmly and plopped down onto the couch. I cast him a swift glance to confirm that he was, indeed, as pale as a sheet.

" Uh, Tina?" he said meekly. I raised an eyebrow and muttered a quick 'Yes?', already preoccupied with a movie.

"Can we carve a pumpkin now?"

***
After carving for a bit with Laurie and Tommy, I finally managed to get bored, and my thoughts wandered off to Michael Myers again. I couldn't help but wonder what he was up to on Halloween night, while I was safe at the Doyle's, keeping away from trouble.

A ding of the bell interrupted our activities, and Laurie ordered Tommy to open it.

"It's Annie and Lindsey! Come in, we're carving pumpkins!"

Three pairs of footsteps approached us, and I grinned at little Lindsey and then at Annie. I wasn't nearly as close with Annie as I was with Laurie, but I tolerated her.

Not even a second passed and Annie was on it:
"This has not been my night. My clothes are in the wash, I spilled butter down the front of me, I got stuck in a window..."

Laurie held out a hand to interrupt her friend.
"I'm glad you're here because I have something I want you to do. I want you to call up Ben Tramer and tell him you were just fooling around!"

I tuned out of the conversation after that, instead observing the gleam of the pumpkin knife and how it reflected light. I slid it along my finger gingerly, and it was absolutely too dull for me to even feel its presence.

My daydreaming was interrupted by Annie rushing back out the door. I sent Laurie a questioning gaze.

"She went back to meet up with Paul."

"Who's Paul again?" I asked, and Laurie rolled her eyes.

"Her boyfriend, dummy. Now let's finish carving these while the kids watch TV..."

Not long after, an ear-splitting scream from Tommy and sorrowful wails from Lindsey interrupted our gossiping session.

We both rushed to the living room, my head filled with curiosity and Laurie's voice laced with fear and concern.

" There he is, the boogeyman!" Tommy yelled, pointing towards Lindsey's house. Lindsey kept crying histerically while I tried to remain out of sight, but Laurie's stern gaze forced me to sigh and come closer.

"Look, Tommy, I was just joking with you. There's no boogeyman, okay? I made it up," I said with as much patience as I could muster, yet secretly wishing to go home.

"See, Tommy? There's no boogeyman! Stop scaring Lindsey and go watch TV!"

After the kids calmed, Laurie and I returned to the kitchen, our pleasant mood ruined.

"I don't know what's gotten into that boy, seriously..." Laurie whispered in concern.

I shot her a reassuring grin. "Don't worry, Laurie, he probably saw someone in a creepy costume and freaked out because I kept scaring him all day. And those scary movies certainly aren't helping his wild imagination... But now, tell me about Ben Tramer, you really like that dude?"