vulnerability

Please vote and comment!!

Olivia POV

"Olivia, wake up," my mother said, storming into my room and practically ripping my window curtains open.

I slowly sat up, and rubbed my eyes to try to wake myself up. It had to be six in the morning, and I just wanted to sleep an hour more.

"Good morning, mother," I muttered, not wanting to start on a bad note with the woman.

"Get up, you have to go down to the market to get me some eggs and milk," my mother commanded, leaving me some money on my bed. "Be back in an hour, not a minute later."

She the left with out another word, and I wanted to actually pound my head against a wall. She was awful to deal with, and at this point she wasn't even a mother to me.

I got out of bed, and out on one of the new dresses I got on Friday. I choose the blue one, and put on a white hat to top it off. I saw the ring that Harry gave to me on my night stand, and I put the piece of jewelry on my thumb, and left the house.

I walked quickly past the usual group of men outside the market, and luckily none of them bothered me.

Getting the things my mother asked me to get, I paid for the eggs and milk with the money she gave me. I tucked the change into my pocket, and grabbed the groceries to take home.

The same group of men were outside, smoking cigarettes and drinking alcohol.

One man stood in front of me, in the way of my walking. He looked down at me, and quickly moved out of my way.

Before I walked away, I could hear the man tell the other guys, "Harry's girl."

I wanted to argue with them and say that I wasn't his and I never will be, but the ring just saved me from running away or a pathetic attempt to get away from the men, so I was thankful. I still wasn't used to the ring, since it was one of the first times I was wearing it in public, and it was the first time it did what Harry had promised: it would protect me.

It was almost like the ring had powers, and the powers were that men would leave me alone when I didn't want company. Even though I knew that wasn't the case, it was an interesting thought to have.

I walked away from the group, and came home to an empty house. I put the groceries in the refrigerator, but I grabbed some eggs to make breakfast with.

My father walked in through the porch, and gave me a small kiss on the cheek. He then muttered a quiet, "Good morning."

My father and I have really grown apart, and I believe it's my mother's doing. He is terrified of her, as am I, so I think my father is afraid of what she will do to him if he is nice to me.

We barely talked anymore, and I was at the point where I felt like I had no parents anymore, and no one to love me.

~

We were currently sat at the dinner table, quietly eating dinner that I had made. I made chicken, and mashed potatoes.

My mother broke the silence by saying, "Where did you get that ugly ring from?"

I coughed up some of my food, not expecting her to ask me such an abrupt question.

"A-a woman gave it to me. Outside of the market today," I answered. I never lied, besides sneaking out almost every weekend. But that technically wasn't a lie since my mother doesn't even know I'm out. I say my evenings out are more of a secret rather than a lie.

My mother did not look satisfied with my answer, but she did not continue the converstaion. My father, like always, stayed quiet and to himself.

Once my parents finished eating, I cleaned their dishes and my own, and then went to room to read.