Part 12: Why Must It Be This Way?

Blood. That was all Alfred could compute.

Somewhere close, he heard Francis and Matthew screaming.

But, he didn't see them. He didn't feel them.

The only things he felt were the hot tears dripping down his face.

Sure, someone was holding his arms, but he didn't care.

"Arthur..." He whimpered out. No one heard him.

"Hey...hey... HEY KID!"

He snapped back to reality, looking up at the boy who yelled at him. "F-francois?"

He rolled his dull purple eyes. "Yeah, who else would it be? That dead guy over there?" He motioned to Arthur's motionless body.

"A-arthur isn't dead... Arthur can't be dead!" He cried, grabbing Oliver's attention.

He hurriedly swiped at Gilbert and Toni, making them cry out and collapse.

He jogged over to Alfred.

"Poppet... love... what has he ever done for you? Nothing. Don't mourn him. He doesn't deserve it." He went back to Gilbert who was attempting to get back up, clutching where Oliver cut his leg.

"Listen to Ollie." Andres grunted. "He's usually right."

Alfred still wasn't sure.

(With FrUK)

"Mon amour... ange... please wake up!" Francis sobbed.

"Fran..." Arthur whispered.

"Arthur!" I-I need to tell you-"

"Please... Francis... I don't have much time..."

"Don't say that! You'll be fine! Just hang on!"

Matthew cried silently, gripping Arthur's other hand.

"Please... Francis, please listen!" He said as loud as he could, which was almost a whisper.

Francis looked at him.

Those vivid emerald eyes he loved so much were dying right in front of him. He hated it. This was torture.

"Francis... please... take care of them..."

"Arthur, please, hang on!"

"I love you... so much, I..." His grip slackened, his vivid eyes were no longer sparkling like they always did. His shallow breathing stopped.

Francis shook him gently. "Arthur? Arthur, don't do this to me!" His voice rose as he yelled.

"ARTHUR PLEASE!" He sobbed. Matthew sat there, silent with wide horrified eyes.

No response.

Francis bit his lip, leaning down and kissing his forehead.

"J'aime te, mon Arthur... rest well..."