Kabanata XIX: Write it: I'll act it (Part I)

Chris

YOU CAN easily deduced a case but not a woman's heart.

"Do you like Zanaya?"

There was a long pause before I could answer her question.

"She's a special friend."

Her eyes were full of emotions. It's like a glass, and in just a few moments, it might break, and a drop of tear would fall down.

"More special than me?" her voice almost broke from the thickness of the emotion that she felt.

I let out a sigh before I replied, "No. You're my first best friend and no one else would take that place from you."

She laughed bitterly. "So, I'm just a friend just like everyone else."

How could I explain it to her? She's making it hard for me. This was not supposed to be happening. We should have been there laughing as we shared nonsense stories. But now, here we were.

"You're more than a friend to me."

"But not as a l-lover, right?"

She's like a sister to me and I never wanted to see her crying because she's hurt. And the worst part of it all was that I was the reason why she's hurting.

"I don't want to ruin our friendship. Our friendship is my most precious gift from above, and I value it with all my heart."

She nodded her head, as if she understood what I've said.

"It's okay. I understand. I wouldn't want to ruin our friendship as well, but I just wanted to tell you that I adore you," she paused and glanced at me briefly before returning her gaze at the sky. "I ought not to tell you, but I think you deserved to know. You deserved to know that someone out there loved you, loves you, and will love you."

There was a moment of silence after she said that. We just sat there as we feel the soft breeze brushing through our skin, as gently caressing our souls.

"After this, I hope we're still friends. Stay by my side," she pleaded and then looked at me in the eye.

I gave her a small smile. I would never leave her. I could never. Not in a million years.

"I'll stay. Don't worry."

After a long silence, she spoke again, "Kung hindi mo gusto si Zanaya, eh sino?"

"Wala akong nagugustuhan," I replied, not giving more details, because this was not the right time.

"What? Bakla ka ba?"

No way! Now she thought I'm gay.

"No! This is not the right time to fall in love. We are facing a lot of problems in our academy, and I just need to help."

Someday, I would, but not now.

I pulled her into a hug, and kissed her forehead.

"I have to go back to the training room. Baka hinahanap na ako."

"Okay, galingan mo, ha."

"Of course."

And just like that, I left her. Sitting all alone in the veranda.

I couldn't stand seeing her that way. So vulnerable, so broken. I didn't intend to hurt her, but I have to say those words so that I could focus.