Chapter Five

It has been a week since I talked to Cosmo.

I spent whole week to find a job as a graphic designer. I ran almost 10 companies, as a result, all I received were rejections.

While I am walking in the prosperous street, Cosmo's arrogant figure appears on a LED billboard.

He is the leader of Chinese business, he can do anything he wants in this world.

Wait a moment...He might...I started to doubt that if Cosmo did something to prevent me from getting a job.

Does he think that I will go back and beg him? The answer is no way, and it is just ridiculous.

I am worrying about it. If I don't have a job right now, then I better wait until I give birth. But, who is going to support us financially?

Looks like, I have to go meet Lucas.

I am sitting anxiously in this quiet cafe while I am waiting for Lucas' arrival. The last time I saw him was in Cosmo's and my wedding. After that, we barely in touch.  I heard from my stepmom that immediately after my wedding, he received an urgent task of going to Japan for a three-year business trip.

I was alive for Cosmo all three years...Man, I have missed so much things of my surroundings in these three years. I am such a hoe. I really don't deserve anyone's love. I am not a good friend, first from Ava, now to Lucas. They are right about me, I am an useless and insolent spoiled brat.

Gosh, now, what should I say to him? Maybe ask about his life in Japan first? So nervous, I feel like I need to use the bathroom.

After I have used the bathroom and waited him for about 10 minutes, I felt someone tapped my shoulder.

Lucas is here.

He looks more mature now, but it doesn't affect his attractiveness.  He first gave me a friendly smile and pulled out the opposite chair of mine then sits down, "Hi, Esther, long time no see."

I am so grateful that he broke the silence first.

"Hello, Lucas, my friend. How are you? How was your business trip in Japan?" I took a deep breath and pretend that my life is going on well.

"I am fine, thanks Esther. Staying in Japan was fun, and I met a lot of polite, creative, and smart people in there, but still, I love China more, so I am back immediately after my mission. I miss you a lot. By the way, do you want anything to drink?" He waved to the waiter.

"Um, water is fine, thanks." I don't have much money left inside my pocket.

"Are you sure? Esther. Water doesn't have any taste. " He chuckled, " May I please have a Mellow Blue Mountain Coffee? Thanks."

"I am so glad to hear that you are doing well, and I miss you a lot too. " I am truly happy for him. I owe him a lot. He helped me with many things throughout my entire life, and we shared secrets to each other.

"Esther, I have heard what happened to you. I am really sorry. I was going to call you last week to ask if you need any help from me, but I got some business emergency needed to be fix and took me a whole week. Things were just going crazy. Sorry that I didn't get a chance to call you. Fortunately, you decided to meet me. " He talks in a very sincere and serious tone that makes me feel so touch. I think he is the only one who truly cares about me other than my dead mother. He is such an awesome person. I don't deserve his kindness. I really don't.

"Lucas. Thank you for everything you have done for me. You are an awesome person. I am very lucky to have you as my best friend. I really don't have anything to give you back. Today, my purpose of meeting you was to ask if you can lend me some money, and I will pay you back until I find a job. My brother's tuition fee is due end of this month, and all the rental, utilities bills..."I can hear my voice started to crack, "and, Lucas, I am pregnant with Cosmo's child..." I stopped looking at him, instead, I looked down, such a shame. I don't think anyone can hear what I just said except myself.

Never-mind, Lucas heard it. He wrapped my cold hand with his warm, wide palm, "Esther, thanks for telling me this news, and absolutely, I will always help you financially and mentally. Hey, it's a good news. Congrats. I am very glad that you are sharing this news with me, and from our more than ten years friendship, I guess I am the only one who knows your pregnancy."

I look at him appreciatively, "Thank you, Lucas! I am sorry that I have nothing to pay you back. You really killed me with your kindness. Now, I can do anything for you."

" Anything for me? Really? How about marry me?" He bursted out a shocking sentence... Is he serious?

I had to repeated this sentence over again in my head until I figured out that he is expressing the literal meaning of the sentence.

Lucas' biggest secret is that his sexuality is bisexual... He told me that back in high school, and he was secretly dating some cute guys back then. I don't think he marries me because he likes me. He likes males more than females, and that's why we are best friends... My mind cannot get back from the last purposeful marriage I had.

"Marry you...But I guess not a real marriage?" I asked him carefully.

"Haha! No wonder you are my best friend! Yes, I just need a marriage to fool my parents. I am 30 now. You know that I like males more than females, so I also need someone to cover my secret. Now, they set up all those senseless blind dates for me, and it's really embarrassing, stupid to go..." Listen to his complaining, I chuckled. I feel like we go back to the good old times.

" I see, what a Chinese culture. I feel bad for you man. Still stuck inside the closet." I used a bright tone to joke with him.

"So yes or no? Babe. I need an answer. "

"But...How long it is going to be?" I still feel it's not fair for Lucas. It's not what I want, but if he needs help, I mean, I will definitely try my best to help...

"Until you find someone who you love, so it's totally up to you." He looks at me genuinely, "I promise, all we need to do is act like a perfect marriage couple in front of everyone for this covenant marriage. We are still best friends. You will get a father for your child, and I can cover my sexuality at the same time. Is it perfect?"

It's not perfect. I never want to marry him, not even a fake one! Now, my stepmom really has an appropriate reason to blag money from Lucas, "Lucas, but you know, my stepmom, your aunt, is going to ask you for money..."

"So? I was worrying about what if I don't have time to spend my money. Hahahahah! I am just rich like that."

"You silly boy. Then ok, wait, how about your parents? Are they going to agree with this marriage... I don't have such nice background anymore." I honestly don't think this plan will work.

"Don't worry about it. My parents cannot wait to see their grandchild anymore!" He smiles with confidence.