Chapter Six

After few days, Lucas told me that he has successfully convinced his parents that he is going to marry me. According to Lucas, their desire for meeting me is full of excitement. He also told me that I shouldn't be nervous. I then decided to meet them the Friday of next week.

I wasn't  relieved even after I heard this news, instead, I feel even worse. The strong feelings of guiltiness, anxiousness, and self-loathing makes me start to sleep less and eat less. It's like there's a invisible hand clenches my heart tightly. I tried to eat more just for my baby, but it won't work, and now I am worrying about my baby. What a terrible vicious circle.

Day goes especially quick when you are nervous and anxious about some incoming events, for example, meeting future parents-in law.

Today is the day of meeting Lucas' parents.

As the vehicle is moving past the beautiful hillside rapidly, the entire gorgeous night view of the city can be take in one glance. The pinkish twilight on the horizon was not yet gone.

Despite the magnificent night view, I feel extreme nervous.  As the car is slowly approach to the destination, I took a deep breathe, tried to calm myself down, and look at Lucas, he is driving, "Are you sure your parents like apples instead of pears?"

"Hahahaha, Esther, you worried too much. No matter what kind of fruit you bring, they will like it as long as you bring yourself". He laughed with joyful, "How is the baby today? Is he being a good boy?"

"He is fine." I am in my first trimester of pregnancy. I can finally feel that there's a life inside me.

"I can't wait to see him after seven months! My son or daughter. And, ok, we are here. Are you ready?" Lucas stopped the car and turn off the car engine, look at me with a shine smile.

"Uh, yeah". I look into him and gave him an ugly smile.

I then noticed the luxurious mansion in front of us. It's breath-taking, and it's bigger than the house I used to live. I believe this is Lucas' home, but I am not suprised by how rich is his family because Lucas used to be a spoiled brat back in junior high.

He got off the car, walked across the car, and gently opened the door for me,"Gosh girl, your hands are so cold. You are gonna be fine". He says while he is wrapping my hands with his.

His warmness somehow relieved my nervousness. I look at this man in front of me, honesty, I am so lucky to have such awesome friend. If we weren't best friend, and if I didn't know he likes male more, I might like him. But, it is just "if", he deserves a better person, definitely not me. 

"Ding-dong, ding-dong..." The door bell is pretty loud, at least I can hear it through the door.

As the door opens, a beautiful, elegant middle aged woman in a slinky white dress appears in front of us. She is Lucas' mother without a doubt. Lucas inherited eighty percent of her facial features. She kind of looks like my stepmom, but she is much more beautiful than my stepmom due to the fact that she looks a lot more graceful.

"Hi! Mother! Long time no see!" Lucas has proved my guess.

"Oh gosh, my babe. I miss you so much." She immediately gave Lucas a hug.

"Mom, this is my cute little girlfriend, Esther. And, Esther, this is my most beautiful mother." Lucas introduced me to his mother as well as introduced his mother to me.

"Hi Mrs. Gao, nice to meet you". I bowed formally to her.

"What a polite child, come in! Dad can't wait to see you guys!" She smiled as we walked in the door.

As I walk in, I quickly glanced over the inside, and wow, the inside of this house is just splendid.