Chapter 3

"First years this way" called Hagrid as the twins and Ron got off the train, "Come on this way to the boats." They followed him, the rest of the first years behind them. They rowed in a boat with a girl with bushy, brunette hair, called Hermione. After the boats they had to walk through the dungeons 'I'll take them from here Hagrid, thank you," said a tall woman with greying hair.

"Right you are Professor McGonagall ," Hagrid waving goodbye to Harry and Emily, before walking through a huge door on their left.

"I am Professor McGonagall. You will sit with your school mates in the Great Hall in a moment but first you must be sorted into your houses. They are Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw and Slytherin. While you're here your house will be like your family. Your triumphs will gain you points, while any rule breaking will lose you points. Wait here a minute, we will be ready for you in a moment." And then the Professor followed Hagrid into the Great Hall. The first years started muttering to each other before the boy Emily recognised from the train come over to her and Harry. "So it's true then, what people were saying on the train, the famous Potters have come to Hogwarts. I didn't introduce myself in Madam Malkins did I? I'm Malfoy, Draco Malfoy." When Ron sniggered, Malfoy added, "Think my names funny do you? No need to ask for yours, red hair and hand-me-down robes? You must be a Weasley." Then he turned back to the twins, "You don't want to be making friends with the wrong sort, like Weasley here. I can help you there." Looking at Malfoy's hand, waiting to seal the deal Harry replied, "I think we can tell the wrong sort for ourselves thanks." Malfoy sneered at him then smiled. "What about your sister? She can speak for herself can't she? Or do you make decisions for her?" Emily opened her mouth to reply, but was interrupted by Professor McGonagall clearing her throat for silence. "We are ready for you now, follow me."

The Great Hall was magnificent! The ceiling look like it was the sky, seeing all the stars above their heads. It was magical. At the top of the hall, on a platform was a stool, with an old hat in front of them. Professor McGonagall stood next to it, and then it began to sing!

Oh you may not think I'm pretty,

But don't judge on what you see,

I'll eat myself if you can find

A smarter hat than me.

You can keep your bowlers black,

Your top hats sleek and tall,

For I'm the Hogwarts Sorting Hat

And I can cap them all.

There's nothing hidden in your head

The Sorting Hat can't see,

So try me on and I will tell you

Where you ought to be.

You might belong in Gryffindor,

Where dwell the brave at heart,

Their daring, nerve, and chivalry

Set Gryffindors apart;

You might belong in Hufflepuff,

Where they are just and loyal,

Those patient Hufflepuffs are true

And unafraid of toil;

Or yet in wise old Ravenclaw,

if you've a ready mind,

Where those of wit and learning,

Will always find their kind;