Chapter 15

"What do we do then?" Hermione asked after a moment's silence.

"We go after Quirrell – god's sake Ron! Or Snape – and get the stone first!" Emily replied determinedly.

"The trap doors already open!" Harry exclaimed, running over and looking in. "I've no idea how far it goes. Listen, I'll go first. If it's safe jump in after me, if not get out of here. That means you too Ems." The three grudgingly nodded, as something slimy and wet dribbled down Ron's robes.

"Eww, yuck!" Ron said disgusted, looking up. "JUMP!" They saw Fluffy leaning over them, very much awake and looking rather annoyed. Quickly they jumped down the entrance, not caring what was below, as long as they didn't have to face the three headed dog. The four children landed on something soft and sighed in relief, until Hermione pointed out that it was trying to kill them. "Just relax! It's devil's snare. Stop moving. If you don't, it'll only kill you faster."

"Kill us faster? Oh now I can relax!" Ron all but shouted, fidgeting around more as Hermione just shook her head, and vanished beneath the plant. "Hermione!"

"Hermione where are you?" Harry called, worried.

"Just relax!" Hermione said back, still out of sight. Emily and Harry began to stop escaping and sure enough they disappeared under the plant just like Hermione.

"Emily! Harry!" Ron screamed, panicking.

"He's not relaxing is he?" Hermione sighed in exasperation, as he began shouting for help.

"Not particularly no" Emily frowned.

"Devil's snare...what did Professor Sprout say? It likes the dark and the damp..." Hermione muttered, more to herself than Harry and Emily.

"Then light a fire!" Emily exclaimed.

"Yes, of course! But there's no wood!"

"HAVE YOU GONE MAD? ARE YOU A WITCH OR NOT?" Ron bellowed from above them, obviously eavesdropping on their conversation.

"Oh right..." Hermione blushed and muttered a spell, making a fire appear and Ron fall flat on his face.

"Lucky we didn't panic..." Ron said, getting to his feet.

"Lucky Hermione pays attention in Herbology" Emily corrected as lead the way through a door to their right. Above them were hundreds of winged keys flying around. Going to the door on the other side Emily muttered, "Alohomora" and tried to open it but it wouldn't budge. "We must have to get the right key"

"But there must be a thousand keys up there!" Hermione exclaimed.

"I think we're looking for an old fashioned one, bronze like the handle." Ron said, "Harry, take the broom and see if you can find it, we'll try to help you from down here." Harry hesitated but jumped onto the broomstick that was in the corner and tried to find a key that fit Ron's description.

"There Harry! The one with the broken wing!" Hermione told him and he found it was right in front of him. Pretending he was after the snitch, he flew over to it and caught it easily, throwing it to Ron who opened the door and the three on the ground clambered in, Harry flying through the doorway and slamming the door on the keys following him. As they walked further into the room they suddenly felt as if they had shrunk, as life sized chess pieces stood before them. "I think we've got to play ourselves around the room." Ron said, then added "Right well...I'll play it, just do as I say...Harry take that bishops space and Hermione the castle...Emily you're the king."

"What about you?" Harry asked.

"I'm going to be a knight." Ron answered. The chess pieces must have been listening because the four they were replacing instantly went to stand at the side, as the children took their places.