Chapter 3- Rebirth

Raina edged out of the hallway. She could sense that Arriana and Isa were in the next room, and she knew that they knew that she was there. Still, she hesitated. She didn't deserve their care. She didn't deserve their love. Three months ago, she'd all but thrown it back in their faces, and now she wanted forgiveness? She couldn't say she'd blame them if they weren't so eager to give it.

I wouldn't forgive me either.

Her shoulders sagged and she stared at the ground. A hand rested on her shoulder.

Raina turned and looked at Pyra. The Phoenix, who clearly knew nothing about comfort, gave her an expression that said 'well, go on now. What are you waiting for?'

She glanced back at the lounge room. This new feeling thing amplified everything she'd ever felt. Every emotion felt new and raw, as though she'd never experienced it before.

Rage, guilt, sympathy, regret, companionship. All seemed stronger than she'd ever remembered them being, but the one that fogged her mind right now was an ache in her chest. It was a mixture of guilt and a drive for redemption. She knew she'd wronged her mentors, Arianna most of all. She would never forget her look of sadness as she'd trudged out of this very house to fight Samael. Arriana hadn't feared for herself, she'd been afraid for Raina.

"What's the hold up?" Pyra whispered right behind her, making her jump.

She looked at the wooden floorboards. "I just... I can't face them."

Pyra rolled her eyes. "Course you can. It won't kill you, well... I mean, nothing can... but hey, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger, right?"

Raina quirked an eyebrow in an 'are you serious right now?' expression.

The Phoenix girl shrugged. "What do you want me to say? They still care about you. They don't blame you. If they did, they wouldn't have tried to help you."

She sighed. "I guess... I guess you're right. I just feel really bad, you know?"

Pyra looked at her blankly. "No...uh, not really. I kind of have no shame."

"What a great lot of help you were, then."

"I try."

"Yah-huh. Sure you do," Raina muttered as she sucked in a breath of air and marched into the lounge room before she could change her mind.

Arriana and Isa turned to her, but she stared at the ground. She couldn't look at them. This was her fault. She'd lost Samael on the hill. She could've at least killed their biggest problem for them, but no. She'd screwed up that part too.

"Raina! I'm so glad you've re-joined us," Arriana told her. Raina could hear the smile in her voice, the sheer happiness, but she still couldn't look up. She didn't deserve this.

"Yes, we're both glad you're ok," Isa said. Raina heard them both get up.

Arriana hugged her first. "You can look up now, the darkness may be both behind and ahead of us, but right now, we live in the light."

Raina shook her head. "I can't, Ari. I messed everything up."

"You are young. It's only natural that you'll make mistakes. Besides, you were in pain."

"But I hurt you and Isa."

She heard her mentor chuckle at that. "Isa and I have endured far worse, trust me on that one."

"Still... I was a brat."

"Yes. Yes, you were."

"And I treated you guys like dirt, and you didn't deserve it."

"Yes, you sure did."

"And you're... ok with that?"

A pause. "Well... while I don't blame you for it... I can't say that I would like to relive it, agreed?"

Raina looked up at Arriana. Yellow eyes stared back. It felt as though a weight had been suddenly lifted off her chest. Everything felt lighter, brighter, and, somehow, happier.

She'd been forgiven. She hadn't deserved it, but she'd been forgiven.

Arriana let go, allowing Isa to also give her a great big bear hug.

"Come here, you!" the cryokinetic whispered.

Raina hugged her back, feeling nothing but warmth from the supposed Snow Queen. She felt her eyes water as tears of joy trickled down her cheeks. Bittersweet happiness filled her from head to toe. It was the best she'd felt in the past three months.

It's the most I've felt in the past three months.

When the embracing had finished, and Raina had finally finished drying her eyes, they stood in the lounge room, a contented silence filling the air. Raina glanced at the other end of the lounge room where Pyra was leaning awkwardly against a wall.

"What are you doing over there?" Raina asked.

Pyra cocked her head to one side. "Trying to give you some space for your sentimental little reunion."

Raina didn't miss the sarcastic tone in her voice, but, when it came to Pyra, she was starting to find that it was hard to differentiate between sarcasm and, well... not sarcasm.

"Why? You're a part of this family now too, you know."

Pyra's eye widened with surprise. "For real?"

"Uh, yeah. For real. So stop hanging over there like a lost dog. You're a part of this household, aren't you?"

"Uh... I do believe that was the deal."

"Then congratulations, you're a part of this messed up, mix 'n' mash family of immortals."

"And I seriously can't return the offer?" The Phoenix asked, sounding only half serious.

"Nope," Arriana told her.

Pyra grinned and shrugged. "I guess I don't really have a choice then. Which one's my room?"