Chapter 23: Demon Car Chase

After an hour of running and taking wrong turns ("I thought it was right on 4th Avenue, not left," Pyra had grumbled in her defence), they arrived at 'Manhattan Motorcars', a large grey building with plain (but impeccably clean) glass windows and appropriately boring steel lettering that read 'Lamborghini Manhattan'. Through the windows, brand new cars gleamed from within, the light of the dealership casting an almost cheery glow on the dark street.

"So... I take it people don't come here to buy the family van?" Pyra asked, looking at it from across the street.

"Nope. Not that kind of car dealership," Iris admitted.

Raina grinned. "Well, on the plus side, none of us will have ever driven in something so fancy."

Pyra snickered at that, and even Iris, in all her terror, grinned.

Raina turned around. So far, she couldn't see any demons. Five minutes ago, she'd been able to see them in the distance, still chasing them like a hound pursuing a deer. A hungry lion after it's next meal. So far, though, they'd managed to avoid them. They just needed to avoid them for a little longer.

She gestured to the other two. "Come on, let's get across the street before they catch up."

They nodded, quickly dashing across the road and hiding behind a car that was still parked on the street, even at this hour. Rain glanced at the dealership.

"Should we... should we worry about getting in and not getting caught? Or do we just break the windows?"

Iris's eyes seemed to grow... distant, practically glazed over. . She appeared to be somewhere else, almost as though she were sleepwalking.

Raina cocked her head to one side and waved a hand in front of Iris's face. No response.

Pyra raised an eyebrow. "Um... is she ok?"

Raina frowned. "I'm not really ... sure. I think this is her gift manifesting."

"Well it better manifest quickly, or we'll be in deep crap."

Raina nodded. "I know."

Suddenly, she noticed Iris's eyes return to normal. The girl began looking around, with wide eyed amazement.

"So, where'd you go?" Raina asked casually.

Iris' brows furrowed. "I think.... I think I was just.... inside the dealership's security prison>"

Pyra turned around from watching the street. "I'm sorry, you were what now?'

Iris shook her head. "I don't know... I could see... I could see the system in my head. Where it all connected, the information that was in there, the security camera footage... I knew how it all worked so I just... willed it to shut down. And it did."

"What in the hell?" Pyra asked, gaping at Iris.

Iris shrugged. "I don't know. I don't know how I did that. Is that normal?"

Raina nodded thoughtfully. "I mean... for an Immortali, it is. For any kind of magical being, it probably is."

In spite of this, Pyra continued to stare at Iris. "Yeah, burt I mean, that's a pretty mad power. She just hacked the security system with her mind. You said you were good with technology, but you didn't tell us you were that good."

Iris smiled faintly. "I am good with tech. I always have been. I could always seem to just...make it work, you know what I mean? I didn't have to think about it, I didn't have to try very hard because I just seemed to know."