Chapter 17: Change Tactics

"Oh bloody hell... what did people do before the internet?" Pyra wondered aloud. She was staring at her half flame-covered ceiling. She'd finish it, but, at that moment, procrastination had taken over, and, as a result, she couldn't find it in her to so much as raise an eyebrow.

"Read, sew, cook, work, garden—" came the voice of Raina from across the room, before Pyra decided she'd heard enough.

"Now, hold on a second, let me stop you there, I don't do any of that crap. You ever seen me read?" she asked, turning her head to stare at Raina, who, in turn, looked up from her book.

Raina shook her head. "No..."

"Oh, I'm glad you've noticed that much. So... if you've never seen me read, why in hell would you think I'd sew or cook or, god forbid, work or muck around with some dumb plants in a garden."

"Gardening is therapeutic."

"No, setting fire to gardens is therapeutic."

She saw Raina raise an eyebrow. "You sure you're not a pyromaniac?"

Pyra huffed. "Yes. I'm a pyrokinetic. There's a difference."

"So... burning things brings you no joy whatsoever?"

Pyra rolled her eyes but chose not to answer.

After all, who doesn't enjoy burning things? What a stupid question.

She heard Raina sigh and chuckle to herself. "Well, I think your silence is answer enough."

Pyra rolled her eyes. "Oh, haha, whatever. And what the hell are you reading anyway? A 12th century guide to discrimination? Don't tell me you've become religious all of a sudden."

Raina shook her head, and Pyra didn't miss her wry grin. "For your information, I'm not reading the Bible. This is older than the 12th century, I think. It's a book about runic magic, different kinds of sigils and shortcuts."

"Ugh... boring... can't you find something more inspiring to read? Or, at least, a more updated version of it? You know... like a pocket edition?" Pyra muttered, eyeing the dusty, leather-bound tomb with immediate dislike.

Raina shrugged. "I dunno... it's pretty good. Gives a nice introduction to spellcraft and the theory of magic itself. It's kinda... interesting, really. And besides, if it's in Ari's library, it's because it's the best of the best."

Pyra frowned. "What the hell is spellcraft, even? And the theory of magic? Is that like the theory of relatives?"

"You mean Einstein's Theory of Relativity?"

"I dunno. Is that a theory?"

"Yes. Quite a famous one, as I recall."

"Cool. That then."

She noticed Raina shaking her head, but she also noticed the smile on her face.

"Well, anyway, the theory of magic is like... a theory of how magic works. You know... like, does it have certain laws that it obeys? Or can they be broken sometimes, and if so... why? And spellcraft is basically just the design of spells."

"So... like, being an engineer... of spells?"

Raina nodded. "Looks that way. Making sigils, bind runes, curses, that kind of thing."

Pyra continued to look at her. "You know, it doesn't matter if you're some epic, bad ass, magical immortal thing, you're still always going to be a great big nerd."

"Thank you, I think?"

"I didn't really mean for it to be a compliment."

"Well... that's disappointing. I'll take it as a compliment anyway. And... besides... I did find something interesting."