Chapter 24: Bump In the Night

Hello, my beautiful readers! I'm back with two more chapters. Yes... sorry it's only two, but one of them is quite long. Longer than I usually write, so I hope that makes up for it a bit. Sorry that it's taken me so long to write and upload them. I'm the worst for procrastinating! But thank you so much for your patience! I know a lot of you have been looking forward to this, so, without further ado, enjoy. 

It had been half an hour. Nothing. No attacks. No one following them. Raina sighed.

She was sitting cross-legged on a car that was travelling as fast as possible through the suburbs of New York city.

That was to say: not very fast.

Traffic, even at this hour, made Raina very glad that the total population of Australia was only about 22 million. Indeed, the going had been slow, and tensions seemed to heighten with every passing minute.

Snapping her out of her apprehensions, Raina felt the car turn into a service station. Confused, she leant over Pyra's side and tapped on the window. The Phoenix popped her head outside.

"Apparently we need 'gas', mind you, I've been telling Bluey here that it's really fuel, or petrol."

"It's called gas!" came Iris's indignant reply from the other side of the car.

Raina saw Pyra roll her eyes, where Iris couldn't see her. She then turned to face her. "Whatever. Let's just go and get it."

Raina looked at her boots. She willed her magic to stop working, and, almost immediately, her feet felt lighter, free. Easily able to move.

She slid off the roof of the Porsche as Iris and Pyra opened their doors.

"Uh... one thing, we don't have any money for fuel," Raina stated whilst fixing her hair up.

Iris shook her head in disbelief. "Wait, you guys don't have any money?"

The Phoenix raised an eyebrow. "Uh... no. Do you?"

At this, Iris glared daggers at Pyra. "I've lived in a cardboard box for the past three years. Does is look like I have any money?"

"Well, obviously not. It was meant to be a rhetorical question."

Iris's indignant stare remained for a few seconds more, before it shifted to something that could only be described as pensive. "Well... do you guys have any sort of... debit cards? Credit cards maybe? They don't have to have any money on them. They're just for appearances."

Raina shook her head. "No... sorry, I don't think I've ever had anything like that-"

"I do." Pyra interrupted. She pulled a wallet out of her back pocket and handed Iris a visa keycard. "One of my foster parents gave it to me a couple of years ago. They were too rich to realise I'd taken it with me when they decided they didn't want me anymore. I used up most of the money on it, and there's definitely not enough on there for fuel, but there's enough for emergency snacks if I ever needed to... make a run for it, so I always carry it with me."

Iris nodded and took the card. "This will do very nicely. I just need a card that I can insert into the machine, and then I can make the machine say that it was paid, and that the transaction went through, when in actual fact, it didn't."

Raina frowned. "Isn't that stealing?"

Before Iris could answer, Pyra snorted. "Well, yeah, it is, but who cares? So they don't make any money out of us? We're trying to save the world here. There are more important things, and we currently don't have the time or resources to take the moral high ground."