Chapter 19: Coincidences

The atmosphere in Samael's lair changed very quickly, and quite dramatically. It had all started when Syretia Ebany had wandered into the room.

That usually caused a slight stir... but not quite like this. A bunch of guards, the ones from his prison cells, accompanied her. Perhaps that it was it?

Syretia didn't even bow before she addressed him. "You remember those sensitives you have locked up down below?"

Perhaps if Samael wasn't both terrified of Syretia and intrigued by her input, he would have been annoyed by her impertinence. As it was, he decided her impertinence didn't matter for the time being.

"Yes, what of them?"

"They're... buzzing... for want of a better word. Like bees in a beehive. Something's happening."

Samael raised an eyebrow. "Oh, really? What, then? They're not actually going to tell you anything. We've tried truth potions, telepaths, everything, but their wills are stronger than we give them credit for. So, regardless of what's going on, it's useless if we don't know what."

Syretia just smiled. It was not a nice smile. "Ah, perhaps they won't tell us anything, but they're quite chatty when they think no one's listening. We haven't got much, but it's enough. Apparently, there's a girl in New York City that has just... expired."

Samael looked at her. "And? Or is that it?"

Syretia rolled her eyes, and Samael sensed her annoyance. His stomach sank. "Let me finish, will you? The girl is a human born Immortali! She's going to initiate within the next couple of hours, don't you understand? It's all connected to the prophecy. There are no coincidences, not, apparently, where immortal, teenage girls are concerned."

Samael straightened. "You believe she's connected to Raina Mads?"

The woman shrugged. "Maybe not now, but she will be."

He nodded. Now was the time to get a lead on The Dawn. After all, Raina Mads didn't know about the girl, so what could she do about it? He, on the other hand, knew. And he was going to use that to his advantage.

"And what would you recommend I do about this, Syretia?"

The woman shrugged. "Perhaps send in a pack of shifter demons? They can track down the girl and bring her back to you. From what I've gathered, the Mads girl will be severely handicapped without her."

"And what if the Circle intervenes?" Syretia asked. "Why don't I schedule a little... distraction for them... something bigger than a couple of demons in New York."

Samael nodded. "Yes... but of course. You're right."

Then, he tried not to smile. Tried not to express his sick joy. Perhaps he was failing at that, but it didn't matter, because, finally, things were going his way.

Which is why he allowed himself a smile when he looked at Syretia and said, "Get it done then."