Chapter 11-Funny-Looking-Sword-Thing

Pyra crossed her arms defiantly as she watched Raina scratch her head.

"Seriously?" she heard the red-haired girl mumble to herself. "How could she have screwed up with every single weapon?"

Pyra snickered. They'd moved away from knives and swords. Now it was maces and battle axes—all of which she'd managed to drop on her toe at least once, and each in a spectacularly painful way.

"Look Raina, sorry to disappoint, but I think we should just stick to the whip, don't you?"

She watched with glee as Raina sighed. "Maybe you're right," she began. "But you'll still have to learn how to use something else, even if there's no instinct whatsoever and it takes me a whole century to teach you how to pick it up."

Pyra groaned. "Really?"

"Really."

"Can't I just... pretend I can? You know, to get Arriana of our backs."

"Nope."

"Then, in that case... do you happen to accept bribes?"

"Pyra."

Pyra sighed. "Fine. Fine. What'll it be? You know, personally, I think the knife didn't go too badly."

"You stabbed yourself in the eye," the Immortali girl reminded her.

She rolled her eyes. "Geez, let it go already it's in the past now—"

"It was just yesterday," Raina reminded her.

"Whatever, sure, I stabbed myself in the eye, but at least I stabbed something, you know?"

Raina looked at her like she was stupid, but Pyra didn't feel stupid, so she wasn't going to fall for it.

But, apparently, neither was Raina. "Are you for real? Your supporting argument is that 'at least you stabbed something'?"

Pyra shrugged. "Well, yeah. Some people haven't even got any hope of stabbing themselves, so I'm already doing better than them."

She then laughed as Raina put her head in her hands. "You have got to be the most insufferable person I've ever met."

"Thank you, I try."

"That's the sad part..."

Pyra was halfway through executing the perfect eye roll, when something caught her eye. In the corner of the room, hiding behind hastily discarded battle axes and maces, were a pair of...well... she didn't really know.

They appeared to be curved swords.

Kind of like those things people used to use to cut wheat... what were they called again?

Her mind pulled a blank. Nothing. Na-da. Zip. Zero.

As far as she was concerned, the proper name for the weapons was 'funny-curvy-looking-sword-things'.

She saw Raina notice the line of her gaze. She, too, turned and looked.

"Hey, I guess we must've missed those before?" she mumbled, scratching the back of her neck.

"Guess we did," Pyra agreed.

"You don't think...?" Raina began but trailed off.

"That they might be just the right weapon for me? Honestly, I kind of hope not. I don't even know what they're called. And if they are, I'm going to be seriously pissed. We've mucked around here for two whole days now, so if I did all of that just to find them now I'm wondering why the universe didn't just save us the trouble and present them to us now."