MIDNIGHT STUMBLES

Malfoy had just rejected him again. It wasn't the first or the second or the third or even the fourth. He had been more than elated to finally have him off his back at the beginning of the eight year after the war. But it had lasted just a week. And somehow he had ended up searching around for that blonde hair in the crowds. The great hall. The corridors. Quitditch matches. Classes. Everywhere. It felt weird at first. After the war, Ginny and he felt like somehow even though they loved each other, it wasn't complete. Ginny was the first to blurt out.
"I am gay" she had said,casually.
Harry was shocked but somehow it didn't hurt. They sat quite for a while.
"I am sorry Harry" she said "that it took me this long to figure it out."
Harry didn't know what to say. He wasn't disappointed but shouldn't he be? He turned towards her.
"I am glad you did in the end" he said "you'll always have me, no matter how many tantrums she throws at you" he smiled.
A wide grin played on the corner of Ginny's lips as she hugged Harry.
"Thankyou so much. Oh harry! I am so grateful you are still here" she said, her voice quivering.
Harry held her tighter as he smiled.
And that had been that. Harry hadn't tell her though that he felt different too. That boys seemed more appealing to him than girls. He didn't because he wasn't sure. There were moments when the guys dormitory seemed awful for pulling a one sided weight on his decisions. Yet he had quite early figured out that no matter how many girls approached him with enchanted chocolates and potions, he just didn't feel it.

             It was two months after school had started. Harry's nightmares still visited. But instead of his parents, he saw them. All of them who had died for him. Remus, Tonks, Fred, Colin.... they were all there. That night it was particularly bad. He had woken up drenched in his sweat, tears forming in his eyes. The dormitory was quite except for Ron's soft snores. He washed his face and put on some heating charms before slipping under the invisibility clock and making his way to the astronomy tower. He stood there as he thought about Dumbledore's death. He knew after the war, looking through Snape's memories, that he couldn't have done anything. Dumbledore had known what was coming. He knew but his killer didn't. Snape wasn't suppose to kill him. Draco was. Draco was supposed to be one who killed him. Harry felt guilt rising about his chest. His thoughts ran to Draco. About how scared he must have been. About how much he didn't understand what Draco had been going through. Harry felt a pang of guilt for thinking about all of the things Draco did so he could protect his family. He felt like somehow he did the same things Harry had done over the past few years to save his own family and friends. Except, Harry had been guided on the good side whilst Draco had been led by his father's mistakes. Harry took out the Marauder's Map from his pocket and whispered,
"I solemnly swear I am up to no good" tapping his wand to it.
Footsteps slowly started to appear. His being away from the rest of the dormitories. Except, there was one other footstep who was in the next balcony.
Draco Malfoy. The map read.
Harry's heart started racing. Before he could comprehend, he was walking towards Draco with his invisibility cloak on.
Draco was standing on the end of the bridge in his pajamas and a robe. He obviously had on heating charms for he was not shivering. As Harry walked nearer, he saw the bottle of fire whiskey placed beside his resting arms on the sill.
Draco was drinking.
Harry felt a slight flutter in his gut as he looked at the sight of Malfoy. His hair was down unlike the usual brushed up. It was messy even. Harry felt a sudden urge to run his fingers through it. He had a satin black robe on beneath which he wore the same coloured night suit. He was wearing his bedroom slippers. Harry looked down at his own. His looked posh with all that fur. Harry's looked.. well normal. On getting more closer, Harry saw the red around his eyes. Draco had been crying.

        The tears were heavy. It had been another nightmare. He was back at the Mansion. It was cold. Even as he sat beside the fireplace, the warmth couldn't reach him. There was a loud commotion and as he ran towards it, he saw the wand up in the air. Lucius and Narcissa on their knees. Bonded with magic. A green light flashed as the words
"Avada Kedavra" left his mouth.
As he watched his mother and father fall, the snake like face turned towards him laughing as he called for the snake, pointing towards Draco. And he had woken up, sweat drenched, face wet with tears. No one had heard. The room was quite and he could see Blaise, still asleep on his bed. Draco cleaned himself up before casting some heating charms and taking out the fire whiskey making his way towards the bridge.
At first it was meant to be just a few sips. But as he stood there the memories storming, he just couldn't stop. The whiskey was almost gone now and he was drunk. Crying. No one knew. No one saw. No one understood. But somehow for most of the part, he always felt like Potter would understand, wouldn't he? He would be able to see the anguish he went through to be in constant fear and forgive him for being chained on the other side, wouldn't he? He gave in to the thoughts and the emotions that flowed through him as his tears flowed relentlessly muffling his pain.