| one |

ONE; MORNING PERSON

8:01 AM

Not many people had actually filled the halls of Composite High, it was still too early. Lee was only there because she hated the rush of mornings, if she got there early then she could take her time.

A few other students were pressed against the wall, faces buried in their phone or in a book. As Lee walked by they would look up for a moment before returning to their previous activities.

The air conditioning seemed to be blasting freezing air because the temperature seemed to be warmer outside. The sleeves of Lee's jacket were pulled down over her tiny fists in an attempt to warm herself up.

The hallway kept winding until it reached a dead end with a single door. Lee sighed and took her seat beside the door, like she did every morning.

As time wore on more peers joined Lee in front of the wooden door. Most of the students seemed lively for so early in the morning. It must have had something to do with the long weekend which started tomorrow. Chatter of partying rolled through the crowd, already setting a buzz.

Lee tried blocking out the noise with the small white headphones in her ears, but she could still hear the overly excited talk. She hated it. She hated all these people and couldn't think of anything worse than having to see them in her free time as well. She could really use a quick smoke to set herself up for the day.

Lee's right headphone was torn out of her ear. She went to protest but stopped when she saw Hunter.

"G'morning, sunshine." His fake smile nearly looked like everyone else's. Nearly. Hunter's smile however had a slightly bitter curve.

"Don't fucking take out my headphones again, I've told you how many times. Next time you do it I'm going to castrate you." Lee threatened. Both her and Hunter knew that she wouldn't really do it.

"Ooh, looks like Clifford is getting told!" Alex shouted obnoxiously while bending down in front of Lee. She reached her hand out and pushed Alex backwards.

"Piss off." Lee was actually a morning person, but when someone made her angry things would snow ball from there.

"I will if you kiss me." Alex puckered his lips and started making stupid noises.

Lee paused her music while Hunter raised his eyebrow in concern. He knew that this meant shit was about to get serious. He stumbled to his feet so he could break up whatever it was he felt was coming.

"The only thing of mine that will ever touch your face is my fist."

Alex and Lee stared at each other intently. It looked as if Lee was about to spit out a few more words, but was interrupted by their teacher walking up.

"Good morning class, I know that everyone is excited, but please keep it down."

Hunter could have sworn he heard Mr. Pinkerton mumbling under his breath about having a hangover.

"When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks into you."

-Nietzsche