| eight |

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀EIGHT; UNEXPECTED

10:03 AM

As Kai cried, the whole class watched in horror. Never in a million years would they expect Kai Hemmings to cry, he was in the trio. Ashton, Alex, and Kai were always so calm and collected. If Kai was crying then surely everyone else should be afraid as well.

Due to Kai's commotion no one noticed at exactly 10:03 AM when shuffling was heard outside the classroom door. Not even Mr. Pinkerton heard it, he was also focused upon Kai.

All morning they had been alert, but the moment each of them had let their guards down was the most dangerous of all moments.

Very few people in the room had come face to face with death itself before, but they were so close to meeting the collector of souls. For when men like these mean to kill they do so with no mercy.

The shuffling in the hall had stopped and had came and went without detection.

Ashton was still caught up on the fact that Kai was so shaken up. He had know his blonde friend since childhood and had never once seen tears fall down from his eyes. It was unusual to say the least.

Another, even stranger thing, was Lee. She rarely showed kindness to anyone, so to see her with her arms wrapped around Kai as he cried in her lap was not natural. The way she held him tightly to her chest made her look like a mother caring for her child.

In a few hours the students lives had been flipped upside down. The school went into a lockdown. They had seen two men die. Kai was crying. Lee was being kind.

Even Hunter couldn't believe how Lee was acting. It wasn't that he was upset that she was helping Kai, but he wanted her by his side. He knew it was selfish but he just needed his best friend next to him to calm him down.

"Class.." Mr. Pinkerton started as he looked around.

"I want to say that I think most of the danger has passed and we will be able to get each one of you out of this room alive. Don't ever-"

The teacher who had always been there for his students was cut off by the door slamming open as wide as it could go (which wasn't far).

"You spoke to soon, old man."

A shot ripped through the air and smoke billowed from the barrel.

Through the screams and the dark no one knew what was happening. That is until they saw the body of their beloved teacher crumble to the ground in a lifeless heap.

"We are so accustomed to disguise ourselves to others that in the end we become disguised to ourselves."

-François de la Rochefoucauld