| twelve |

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀TWELVE; FIX

4:09 PM

When Lee opened her eyes again she was met with the stark white of the hospital. In her panic she tried to rip herself from the bed and run out the door.

Hands held her down and so she fought harder.

"Lee, chill out."

She stopped fighting immediately and pulled Hunter down to her chest. By this point she had dragged him on top of her and he had to hold himself up so not to crush her.

Then all of a sudden Lee let go.

"Oh my god, I'm sorry. I totally forgot about your shoulder."

Lee really felt bad, she probably had messed it up even more. She was really confused when Hunter began to laugh.

"My shoulder? You should be more worried about yourself!"

Lee's confusion mixed with anger. What was wrong with her? All she remembered was blood.

"You were shot in the stomach. So while you walked around and played leader you were worse off than all of us."

Hunter could see that Lee was still beyond confused.

"When you were fighting the one man, his gun went off. You were just to busy being the hero to notice that it hit you. You've taken quite a beating." Hunter explained carefully, for how do you tell someone that they got shot?

"Oh."

"That's all you have to say?" Hunter asked in disbelief.

They sat in silence as Hunter rubbed the back of Lee's hand. He was glad that she was okay. Without her none of the students in room 201

would still be alive.

"How are things?" Lee finally whispered.

"Hell. As you can imagine Composite High is all over every news channel and paper. There is are so many funeral preparations and so many families who are trying to cope."

"Hunter, I'm so glad that I still have you."

"I wouldn't be able to live without you, Lee."

Lee and Hunt were lucky, but 356 others were not.

"It has been said, 'time heals all wounds.' I do not agree. The wounds remain. In time, the mind, protecting its sanity, covers them with scar tissue and the pain lessens. But it is never gone."

-Rose Kennedy