| two |

TWO; LECTURE

8:31 AM

Mr. Pinkerton immediately took his place at the front of the class.

"I know that no one wants homework over the weekend, so I'm going to make a deal with you. If you pay attention in my class today then you get none. If you want to dick around then I'll make a 500 word essay due the Tuesday we get back."

Mr. Pinkerton was pretty cool, he swore like a trucker half the time and was pretty calm about most things. He would only become stern when he noticed the principal was coming into the room. The funny thing was that the principal was always trying to catch Mr. Pinkerton in one of his long swear filled rants.

Most of the class murmured agreement and bobbed their heads gently. Lee knew that Mr. Pinkerton had no intention of giving them anything, he was too good of guy.

Alex's friend, Kai raised his hand in the back of the room. Mr. Pinkerton nodded at him to encourage him to speak up.

"Do we need our textbooks today?"

For some reason Kai always wanted to be the first one to grab a textbook from the front of the class, he always had the textbook with the giant 1 across the top. Everyone knew that Kai always wanted this textbook and found it funny to watch him freak out when Ashton would take it just to tease him. Kai had lost textbook number one to Ashton for the past three days now. It was obvious he was anxious to reclaim the book.

"Actually-"

Mr. Pinkerton was cut off by the beeping that signaled the start of announcements.

'Good Morning students of Composite! We know everyone is excited about the upcoming long weekend, but please treat it like any other day. Also there have been reports that students have been running in the halls. Ladies and gentlemen, this is high school, not kindergarten. Make today Great!'

Lee always hated the sound of the perky secretary that did announcements. Her voice was always higher than the heels on a stripper.

"As I was saying, yes Kai. We do in fact need textbooks today."

Both Kai and Ashton were the first out of their seats as they started to run to the front of the class. Poor Kai ended up tripping while Ashton claimed that first textbook as his own.

Mr. Pinkerton groaned from behind his podium.

"Ashton, stop being a dick and let Kai have the textbook."

Ashton pouted as he handed over the textbook to a beaming Kai.

"Today we are covering Canada's involvement in World War II."

Lee looked up and frowned slightly. She loved world history, but she had already read the chapter ages ago. In fact she had pretty much covered the whole semester. As much as she loved listening to Mr. Pinkerton describe the events, she couldn't find it in herself to pay attention to his words. Her headphones were soon in and a steady guitar riff rolled through her ears.

The quickening pace of the drums didn't help her falling eyelids. Soon Lee's eyes were closed and her mind had sacrificed itself to rock and roll yet again.

"The farther backward you can look, the farther forward you will see."

-Winston Churchill