Chapter-9

"Apollo had said what this kind of love was capable of. And I finally understood why Paris had risked his country and his blood for Helen. Selfish, yes, but I understood. I would burn the world if it meant Alex would be safe."
-Aiden St. Delphi
(The covenant series by Jennifer L Armentrout)

Tink's POV

I wake up this morning to find a text by Peter saying that David will pick me up. He must have something important to do coz he never leaves the office without me, he even insists on going with me. Anyway, I text David not to pick me up as I plan to take my own car.

I get ready and dressed in a sexy off-white dress which will work just fine for the lunch and shopping with Sarah as well as the business dinner tonight with Drew. Although Drew wouldn't mind me showing up in my PJs, he's been a good friend to us since high school but when it comes to business, he's surprisingly strict. Just like Peter. But they both have never once tried to boss me.

I reach the Neverland Corp building in 10 minutes rather than the usual 5 as it's been a while since I've driven and I'm kinda rusty. Also I stopped to bring doughnuts for Peter and me, he loves the chocolate frosting ones with sprinkles.

I don't like the chocolate ones much but I still remember the day Peter said he loved the chocolate ones, he didn't have any money and I had money for only one so I bought the chocolate one claiming it was my favorite too so we could share it. That was about 12 years ago, I know Peter will hate me if I tell him what I did, he always hated being a charity case as he calls it not realizing that his happiness means more to me that my own. It always has and always will.

I reach his office with the doughnuts in hand and walk in without knocking like I usually do, only to find Wendy and Peter sitting extremely close on his couch. There was an open doughnut box on the side and a coffee cup which showed that they've been here for long.

Is that why he didn't pick me up this morning? My heart clench tight while my eyes water seeing that Peter is not even acknowledging my presence with a hug like he usually does when he sees me the first time for the day. I quickly force a smile and mask my hurt from him.

"Hey, Pete. I see you've taught Wendy everything. I'll just be in my office if you need me. Do you want me to show Wendy her's?" I ask hoping he'll let me show her around.

I remember Pete showing me around the office when he first bought it. He rented a room and first with just us two being the employees. Now he owns the entire building and many more with more than 50,000 employees all over world. He was so happy when he first rented the small room in the basement of this very building. He showed me around with a proud glow in his face that he still gets when he talks about the company, and I selfishly want that glow to myself. But even I wasn't expecting what Pete said next.

"Actually I was thinking maybe you should take the big office down the hall and Wendy can take your old office? Is that ok with you?" Did the world still or is it just me?

I snap out of my misery and shoot Peter a small obviously forced grin hoping that he couldn't tell a difference.

"Oh, Yes. Sure. Absolutely. I'll grab my things and move. Actually, I have that shopping with Sarah in 10 minutes. I just came to say hi. I'll just get going then." I awkwardly lie and move out of the room with as much dignity and grace as I can muster, which isn't a lot at this moment. I run out of the office thanking my lucky stars that I drove my own car today.

*******

I drive around for a while calming my traitorous heart and park near Beth's restaurant. Beth comes out to greet me but comes to a halt when she sees me. She hugs me tightly and drags me to the washroom where she proceeds to clean my face which was ruined by steaks of mascara and dried up tears.

God, am I overreacting? I know I can be a drama queen at times but it hurts so much. It's happening once again, I thought it stopped after high school but. Everytime Peter liked a girl, well enough to has sex with her once and leave her, he ignores me. I become second to the girl he's pursuing. It started his senior year as he outgrew his scrawny phase and grew muscles. Girls started to notice him and he enjoyed their attention.

I was a sophomore then having skipped 2nd grade, and I was popular too as I liked making friends and helping others.

The entire year Peter ignored me on and off. I used to cry then too, in the privacy of my own room. The worst time was during prom, he asked me to be his date but cancelled last minute to go with Lisa McCally, the head cheerleader and his fellow senior. Drew being the sweetheart that he is took me instead. He said didn't have a date which was hard to believe as he was the complete package-rich, handsome and intelligent. But I guess I got lucky coz I really wanted to go.

I recover from those horrible memories and continue to hug Beth. "He's doing it again Beth. He likes Wendy, not me. Never me."

"Shh.. It's okay, baby girl. Everything will be fine. Maybe it's time to move on, Tink. You know I love that boy like my own but you deserve better. Come on, let's go out. I'll make you something to eat."

We both go out and I'm just calling Sarah to see when we're going shopping when a familiar dark haired man with twinkling blue eyes enters the restaurant and walks towards me.

"Drew"