Eight

"Good morning," Calum said as he saw his girlfriend sleepily walk into the kitchen. He was seated at the small island enjoying a cool bowl of coco puffs cereal—his absolute favorite.

"Morning," Raegan, mumbled as she trudged through.

Her face was sunken in with dark circles under her eyes. She didn't necessarily feel tired, Raegan wasn't sure what she was feeling, just bland and empty.

"Sleep well?" Calum asked, earning no response from the brown haired girl.

Raegan wasn't in the mood to be questioned by Calum. She ignored his query and grabbed an empty glass from the cupboard, filling it with cold water.

"You okay, Rae?" he went on, clearly not seeing that Raegan wasn't in any mood to have a conversation.

"Yes," she snapped, before chugging down the water in her glass.

Calum stared at her, beginning to feel nervous about Raegan. She seemed to be in a bad mood and it was only the morning. He hated when Raegan wasn't her usual happy self. It made him feel like he did something to upset her, like he was the one who was making her unhappy.

As he watched her, Calum became sure of what he had been noticing for the past few weeks. Raegan looked as though she had lost a lot of weight. Her collarbones were much more prominent, her face was thinner, her cheeks sinking into her face a bit more, and he body didn't seem to fit perfectly with his when they cuddled.

Calum had been growing more worried and worried as the days went by and he wanted to ask Raegan what was going on with her but he knew she would only get mad at him. If he was wrong and nothing was going on, Raegan would get upset with him for assuming stupid, silly things. But if he was right, Raegan would still get upset because she was the type of person to try to figure out things for herself. She wouldn't want Calum to worry about her. Raegan wanted to appear strong and in control of things, even if that was far from the truth and all of that really annoyed Calum sometimes.

Raegan quickly washed the glass and put it away, before turning to leave the kitchen, without a word or a glance to Calum.

"Rae," Calum called after her.

"What?" she stopped in her place, turning to give Calum a look and folding her arms over her chest.

"You're not going to eat breakfast?" Calum asked.

"Uhhh, no..." she answered hesitantly, "I'm not hungry."

Turning, Raegan continued her trek out of the kitchen but once again, she didn't go far because of Calum's calls.

"I'm not hungry, Calum," she repeated, becoming slightly irritated.

"But you haven't been eating. You look like you've lost a lot of weight," Calum explained, "and you look really tired. Have you been sleeping at all?"

"I'm fine," she groaned loudly, rolling her eyes at the brown-haired boy. "Just leave me alone."

"Why are you getting upset? I'm just worried about you."

Calum didn't understand what was so irritating about him wanting to make sure his girlfriend was okay. Something was obviously bothering Raegan and she didn't even want to tell him what was going on. It honestly hurt him. He thought Raegan told him everything. He thought she trusted him enough to do so. Calum chose not to bring that up in that moment, deciding he should get her to calm down first.

Raegan simply stared at Calum blankly. She understood that he wanted her to be okay and all that but didn't he get that she wanted to be alone? Sometimes she felt as though Calum didn't understand her at all.