Breakfast~

Not surprisingly, Dex was the first to wake up the next morning.

He looked around the small shack that he and the only good family he had left were forced to call home.  Dex thought of Rimeshire, how he and his parents would watch the kelpies swim.  How the triplets would go crashing through the halls.  There was the faint recollection of a sleepover he'd once held with his friends, back when the Black Swan wasn't too afraid to point out that he wasn't a murderer, and when Sophie was actually amazed at the glittering walls.

There was a time where he'd had friends who loved him, joked with him, included him, and weren't scared of him.  There was a time where Dex was made fun of by people like Stina Hecks and a time where he and Fitz weren't even friends.  There was a time where his parents were alive, and he'd had a happy, loving family.

But time was selfish.

And it wanted everything for itself.

And that meant you had to keep going.

So, Dex stretched, allowing a small yawn to escape his lips as he looked back at the triplets, who were curled up, all of them snoring lightly.  Lex had his arms wrapped around his verminion plushie that Rex had kindly crafted for him.  Bex was curled on her side, currently the only one facing Dex.  She had drool coming out of her mouth and her red hair had gone from a tightly knotted bun, to a messy, floppy knot.  Rex was on his back, head turned away.  There was no peaceful expression on his face, unlike the others.  His face was a bit grim, and he almost seemed as if he was in pain.

Dex quietly crawled over Lex to get to him.  He shook the youngest triplet.

"Rex?"

There were a few more shakes and pinches before the boy woke up, eyes wide and startled.  His eyes leaking a few tears that had been formed while he slept.

"It's okay.  You're... here."  Dex said, slowly placing a hand on his brother's shoulder.

Rex flinched before relaxing to the touch.  He put a hand on his forehead and rested his elbow on his propped up knee.  "Sorry."

Dex shook his head.  "It's okay.  I was just about to get dressed and make some breakfast.  Do you wanna join, or do you want to go back to sleep?"

Rex looked around for a moment, a smile placing itself across his always gentle face once he spotted Lex snuggling his verminion.  "I think I'll go and help you make the fire, then continue working on those, if that's okay."  He gestured to the plush.

"Sounds good to me.  Come on,"  Dex said, smiling and offering Rex a hand.

The other took it, and used it to make himself stand.  He offered a grateful grin before following Dex back into the separate room where they kept their things.

The two changed facing back to back.  The day was cold, forcing them to add capes to their attire.

The familiar clothing was a bit odd to have on after so long of going without it, but also comforting in a sense.  It added an extra weight to their shoulders that seemed to remove a bit of extra mental weight.

Dex offered Rex a hand again, and the younger one took it with a small smile.  He lead them out of the shack, being sure not to wake the others as they walked to the campfire that'd been previously built.

"Do you think it's gonna rain today?"  Rex asked, looking up at the sky.

It amazed Dex how observant and calm the triplets had become.  Though, he supposed it shouldn't have been that surprising.

"No, I don't think so.  The clouds aren't quite dark enough, but I guess you never know."

Rex nodded, moving onto his knees and grabbing some flint and steel.  He began chipping away at the stone, and thankfully, this time the things they'd put down as a fire starter caught.