You don't mean it

Three days had passed since the fight with Rex and Dex was beginning to get tired of the latter's grudge train going down the tracks at full speed.  Seriously, what was with his little brother.  Dex had apologized for everything - especially what he'd said about their parents - multiple times.  Rex probably just needed time, but Dex wished he'd talk to him even when he didn't have to. 

On a happier note however, they'd finally found out why Bex was so sickly.  It turned out it was completely normal for some Gusters to get sick after using their ability for the first time.  All the air took a massive toll on their body and she'd be fine in a few days was what Dex had read.  And Bex was.  Her fever had gone seriously down and she was up, walking around!  The only thing was that she was a bit wobbly.

That and way too excited to have manifested.

Seriously, someone needed to hold the wind away from her.  Most of the time Dex, Rex, and Lex couldn't even tell if she was actually controlling the wind to mess with them of if her new ability was getting the better of her.  It was slightly concerning, but again, completely normal.  Just so long as Bex didn't wreck the camp.

Dex looked up from the book about Gusters to shoot Bex a warning glare.  If he felt one more sharp wind hit him, he was sending his sister to the creek with Rex to calm down.

She laughed.  "Sorry, sorry.  It's just you hair."  As Bex broke into more laughs Dex felt more wind and began to wonder if it was all connected with her emotions.  Some Gusters were like that, but only some.

"Seriously, Bex, knock it off."

"What's with Mr. Grumpy Pants lately?"  She asked, smile turning to a pout.  She turned to Lex.

He shrugged.  Lex's eyes shifted from Rex to Dex however, and it didn't go unnoticed.

"What?" Dex challenged.

Lex shook his head quietly.  "Can I talk to you for a sec? In private..."

Dex sighed and slammed the book shut a bit more forcefully then he meant to, dropping it next to Rex as he followed Lex into the trees.

They couldn't have walked for more than ten minutes when Dex's younger brother turned around to face him.

Dex raised an eyebrow in question.  "Why am I out here, Lex?"

"What's with you lately?  First you got into a fight with Rex, who you should know by now was just really worried about you and is waiting for you to explain what happened, next you snap at Bex every time you feel a gust of wind, if Sunlike does anything rabbit-like you look at her like she's a spy, and now you're stressed about every little thing!  Do you realize the toll this is taking on us?  Is there anything wrong-"

"Nothing is wrong."

Lex sighed.  "I know I'm not going to get this out of you easily, but please, Dex, tell me what's making you so weird."

"Nothing is making me weird.  Now quit asking."

"We deserve to know too.  We just wanna help."

"Yeah, well you're not!"  Dex snapped.  "You three all pestering me in your own different ways isn't helping.  You're not helping.  Stop asking me questions you know you won't get the answer to."

Lex's lip trembled and he opened his mouth to say something, but Dex couldn't seem to stop.

"I know you'd all rather be home with mom and dad and so do I.  You think I want to be out here having to act like some sort of parent for you three?  You think I enjoy it when you all freak out and have nightmares?  You think I wouldn't hide scary things from you to protect at least some of your mind?  Lex, I'm just a kid.  Give me two damn minutes before you expect me to keep acting like an adult."

"When was any of what you just said implied by any of us?"  Lex's voice cracked and his eyes looked glassy.  "Of course we don't like it when you stress.  That's why we're trying to figure out what's wrong.  I know we can't help as much as we want to, but you - but you won't even give us a chance anymore.  You won't give us a chance.  And we miss mom and dad just as much as you do.  All of us want to be home with them, but we can't now.  Dex you're the last immediate family we have left."

Dex closed his eyes.  He took in a deep breath then let it out.  "You don't have to stay with me.  Just because I'm your immediate family doesn't mean I'm a necessary component for your survival.  If you want to leave, leave."

"Why would we want-"

"Because I'm your last remaining immediate family."

Lex's eyes finally spilled over.  "That doesn't matter though."

"Yes it does," Dex replied.  He could barely recognize his own voice.  Even just a few weeks ago he never would have talked to any of his siblings like this.  "You're still here aren't you?  You followed me because I told you to.  If I were your weird cousin that you'd never met before this, you wouldn't still be here.  If I'd died in that event you wouldn't be here.  You're here because I am."

"No, we're here because we want to be."

"Oh my God, Lex," Dex huffed out a forced laugh, "realize something for once in your life.  You had nobody else to turn to and now you're with me.  You could leave, but you three know there are only so many people who would actually take you in.  Creepy Uncle Silas, Great Grandma, and maybe your cousin, Sophie, if you're lucky."

"Please stop," Lex cried.  "You don't mean it."

"Dex, stop."  A voice said from behind the Technopath.  He didn't have to turn his head to know it was Bex who was speaking.  "You need to calm down.  This isn't like you."

"Nothing's like me anymore, is it?"  Dex mumbled. He walked farther into the forest, sweeping past Lex on his way out.

He didn't fail to notice his cheeks were starting to get damp.

.-.

Dex grabbed his head.  If he didn't know any better he'd think his mind was breaking.  That wasn't possible though, was it?  Besides, it was probably just a migraine.  The universe's way of telling him he'd fucked up.  Yeah, that's all it was.

It took a while for Dex's eyes to come into focus again.  He took in his surroundings.  Dark purple sky with stars everywhere one could look, evergreen trees all around, the sound of a creek running nearby, and a big wooden wheel he'd been working on.  It's twin had already been constructed earlier, plus everything else he needed to make the contraption.

Dex continued working on one of the spokes with a knife he'd stolen before the pain in his head came back.  It felt as if there was a massive band wrapped his head, squeezing mercilessly.

Maybe he should try to get some sleep...

"There you are," a voice said.

Dex shut his eyes more if at all possible.  No more noise, he thought.  Please.

Even the steps cracking the branches on the forest floor were earsplitting.  Dex didn't realize he was groaning until a cold cloth was placed on his forehead.

Minutes - maybe they were hours - passed before Dex's mind cleared again.  He opened his eyes, blinking a few times, to see who was next to him.

There was nobody there.  And there was no wet towel.

He closed his eyes again and leaned against the tree.

.-.

It felt like only a second later that Dex cracked his eyes open again, but it'd apparently had been hours considering the sun was already up, high in the sky.  How long had he been out for?

Dex looked around.  Everything was normal, the same; nothing was out of place.  In fact the wheel and knife were still sitting next to him.

Dex yawned, wincing when even that simple action made his head hurt.  At least it wasn't as bad as it had been that night.

Sighing, the Technopath bit his lip when he heard his stomach let out a deep grumble of hunger.  He hadn't eaten any dinner and had barely touched his lunch the day before.  He regretted this deeply.  Maybe he could sneak back to the camp, but considering it was broad daylight, that was unlikely.  Dex would just continue working on his contraption.  There wasn't much left to be done anyways.