Food and Letters

If this chapter sounds weird, it's because my mental space isn't the best right now.  Just point it out to me if you catch anything that's weird and I'll fix it :P
Thank you!

It must have taken Rex fifteen more minutes to wake up, Bex another twenty after that to realize that they were coming out of their sedative sleep in the order of which they finished their dessert, and Lex about ten more minutes to get the food that he quickly realized he was dying to have.  Bex and Rex were too.  After all, they hadn't had a real elven dinner in who even knew how long at that point.

"We've all eaten a bite," Lex said after a moment.  They were all sat at the Ruewen's dinner table, plates of food in front of them.  "Now tell us what happened.  Please."

Bex looked up at the adults plus Sophie who were awkwardly stood around them.

Edaline was the first to speak in her gentle voice.  "Will you three let us finish talking before you start asking questions?"

"Only if you answer a few of ours first."  Rex said.

Edaline nodded.  "Go for it."

"Did any of you do anything to Dex?"

"Yeah,"  Lex mumbled.  "Like, you didn't arrest him or anything, did you?  Because if you did, he's innocent.  He didn't do anything wrong."

"We didn't arrest him..."  Edaline assured.

Bex sighed, staring at her uneaten food.  "Just tell them.  Let them ask questions while you speak."

Everyone seemed to hold their breath for the second time that night while Bex could barely pause hers.  It felt like she'd die if she didn't.

"You're brother..."  Edaline trailed off.  Bex assumed she was trying to find out how to phrase the next words correctly without causing a mass panic.  "While we are not sure of where he is at this current moment, we do not have any reason to believe he is harmed."

It felt like years before Lex cleared his throat.  "You mean, nobody knows where he is?"

"Yes, but," Sophie broke in, taking a seat, "I promise we'll find him."

"And what will you do when you find him?"

"Bring him home."

Lex nodded, looking downwards.  His next words were quiet.  "Why wasn't he with us when you found us?"

Sophie looked up at the adults.  "I... have some things to give you.  I haven't read them, but they're from Dex.  I got them about a week ago."

"When he went out for the book."  Rex mumbled.  He held his head in one of his hands.

"The books from Foxfire?"

Bex nodded her head.  "They were - or one of them was - for me."  She looked up at Sophie.  "I manifested."

If 'lack of comprehension' was a look, Sophie Foster would wear it perfectly.

"But,"  Bex said, "you have letters?"

"Yeah..."  Sophie said, gingerly standing up.  "Why don't you three come with me?"

Bex looked at her brothers before giving a nod.

.-.

Bex had never been into Sophie's room.  It was weird to think her brother had been their so many times.  He probably even stood where she now was at some point.  Maybe even at many points.

The three siblings stood in the doorway as Sophie walked across her room to her desk, pulling open a drawer.  She took out a few things before finally pulling out three pieces of folded paper.

They weren't crinkled, but Bex still felt like they should have been treated a bit better.  Not buried and all.

She turned her head to the side as Sophie walked back over to them.  From what she could tell by the moon, the time was about 4:00 in the morning.

Her head snapped back when a piece of paper was set into her hand.

"I'll leave you guys alone for a bit.  Come down stairs when you're ready."  Sophie said quietly.

And then she left, leaving the triplets alone in a giant room with possibly the last thing they'd ever receive from their brother.

Needless to say, the triplets didn't leave the room for a very long time.