Ch.6: awe hell nah

I hate this place. It's too much for me.

Court went by too fast. How long did it take for the jury to find me guilty? It was all too quick.

I've been here for 5 months now. I'm supposed to be here for 2 years total.

Around the same time Stokeley finishes his ministry schooling.

I take that thought out of my head. The memory of him is a burden. Him leaving got me into this mess.

I was sitting in my cell, looking up at the ceiling like I've been doing every morning I woke up since I've been here. My cellmate was in the cot across from mine, snoring his ass off.

I didn't bother to get to know him. He creeps me out. All he does is stare at me, and I'm pretty sure I've seen his dick get hard while watching me do push-ups.

Speaking of push-ups, I've been exercising since I've been in the slammer. No sense in sitting round looking pretty and waiting to get butt raped. I already knew how to fight, but let's be a little extra careful.

"Okay inmates!! Lunch!" The heavyset guard yelled at us. We heard the loud buzzer sound and seconds later, our doors opened.

We all walked to the cafeteria and formed a line near the kitchen.

I looked at our options.

Either mystery meat #1 with old potatoes on the side, or mystery meat #2 with dry bread...

At least #2 looks a little better. #2 it is.

I grabbed the tray and headed to the tables.

I looked around and saw that one of the inmates was sitting alone and he looked like someone I could somewhat relate to.

I don't know what I mean exactly, but I felt a vibe from him.

Walking over to the table, I saw he was writing in a journal. I felt in my pocket to make sure I had my journal and pencil, and smiled a little. It could be a little writing session.

He must've seen me coming because he looked up at me and watched as I sat my plate down across from him. We looked at each other, like a conversation was going on between our eyes.

"How old are you?" The stranger asks.

"What you need to know that for?" I cautiously reply.

"... You just don't look like you shouldn't be here. You're too young." He says.

"My guy, you look around the same age as me. How old are you?"

"I'm 21. Don't go running ya mouth around here, people think I'm older." He answered.

"I don't see how. But thanks for telling me at least. Makes me feel a little better. I'm 19." I spoke.

"The name's Symere. But they call me Uzi. Gotta have a fake name around here. It'll get you places without people being in your business."

He extended a hand to me and I shook it.

"I'm Jaseh. I don't have a name yet but for now you can call me Ja-"

"You're X." Uzi interrupted me.

"Nigga huhh?" I asked.

"You'll go by X while you're in here. X means unknown. You're gonna want to be under the radar if you want to make it out in one piece, both physically and mentally." He said as he continued to write in his journal, not once touching his food..

X huh? I guess that works.

"I like it, I think. I'll go by that then. Thanks." I told him.