RED EYE / SHU KURENAI

EDITED 5.14.19.

EDITED 6.9.20.

you hate me, right?

rain was pouring from the stormy dark clouds, drenching the streets in a torrent of water.

lightning flashed brightly, followed by a clap of thunder. i shivered as the wet droplets hit my skin.

should i have prepared for the weather better? yes.

"red eye! red eye!" i called, bounds of excitement.

the taller blader turned, mildly annoyed at the girl who he had not met before, who was now running towards him at full speed. "what do you want." though the phrase was originally a question, his lack of emotion turned it more into a sentence.

"uhh..." i had forgotten what i was going to say. a clink from my fist and i remembered. oh yeah! "battle me!" i held up my bey and it sparkled in the sunlight.

he scoffed. "i haven't seen you around here. are you new?"

"not really, but i'm probably newer than you, since you're— talking to the higher-ups a lot." it was true, i wasn't that new. but did i display noob behavior? maybe. i can't answer that question myself.

i reached into the pocket of my oversized hoodie and pulled out [bey name]. the driver had shattered— a tight spring could be compressed and decompressed, originally part of said driver, bits of the layer chipped off and stress marks whitening the material on the lesser damaged contact points. the durable metal disc was still intact, though. a small plus in the greater destruction.

"[bey name]–" i spoke softly.

my mind flicked back to the white-haired male.

his intense crimson gaze– which i thought never wavered– when i looked back, he was only seeing one individual in that fond crimson gaze.

something, something about him just drew me right to him.

he fascinated me.

but i clearly did not fascinate me.

did we ever have a conversation with meaning to it? i think so, but only on my end was it ever enjoyable.

time passed and he left the snake pit, completely snapped out of it by his best friend valt. it was a disapointment, sure, but he's happy, so i'm happy. 

how did i get myself into the situation i'm in? let's go back about half an hour, okay? i had just swung my other leg over the tree branch. thunder rumbled in the distance, the sky was gray, and the air was muggy. another summer storm would be on its way.

scissors, lighter, bey– or what was left of it anyways, and launcher were conveniently ready in my sweatshirt pocket. nothing had fallen out during my ascent.

i had heard on kurenai shu's twitter anpages that he had planned on asking a girl out for a party, hosted by his parent's company. if sources were reliable, the location would be this very park. creepy? maybe. but it had been announced for a while already. besides, i wasn't going to do anything inherently wrong.

if it were true, i would spot them. if it weren't true, then i wouldn't. let's go on a small rant.

i was kinda done with life by now. don't call me a failure, i know i am. at least i tried to fix myself before giving up. i had tried to stay positive, to actively pursue new things and work hard, but each and every time i ended up getting hurt. it's been so long since i've experienced true happiness, the kind i felt so long ago when beyblade was my lifeline. i thought for sure back then we would always be partners.

i wasn't special. i knew others had it worse. they're experiencing lives so much more difficult than i ever would. i didn't have anyone; i don't have anyone. no one would miss me and i would miss no one.

it's been quite a while... he isn't scared of the rain, is he? we've had worse at the snake pit. oh. there they are. i pulled over my soaked hood, hoping to conceal myself. it's okay, [name]. you're high enough and in enough of a leaf cover that no one'll see you. stay calm, breathe. not shaky breaths. steady. 

there they are. i can see him, but he can't see me. he won't ever see me.

i removed my shoes, threw them to the muddy ground. black converse low-tops.

inhale, exhale. 1, 2, 3.

lightning lit up the sky; flash photography. i think that was when i fell. falling wasn't my plan. or, it wasn't my plan at that moment. falling, falling. it's actually quite nice. once you let go you get a whoosh right as you approach the ground. before you know it, it's over. done. sometimes you go back up and do it again, just for that whoosh. it's addictive. 

but this time i couldn't get up.

if this were a fanfiction, could i have been saved? by the boy with the light hair that fell on his shoulders, who chose me instead of her. maybe. but is this that kind of fanfiction? absolutely not. 

i saw him. he was so close. his lips parted as if he were saying something to me. i couldn't hear it, though. it was all just fuzzy. i could feel my limp body collide with the earth as if my torso and legs were bouncy balls. because they hit the ground and went back up again, before getting pulled in by gravity again. 

you were smiling. smiling 'til the corners of your eyes crinkled.

i can't say for sure i loved you. 

maybe...

i was only ever in love

with the thought of you

i had in my head

——

ah, what a twisted story. was that too dramatic? *yeets away*