01: pudding and ornaments

01

I RETCHED AGAIN as Mom rubbed my back soothingly. Dad stood in the doorway, a concerned look in his eyes as he spoke to someone on the phone, eyebrows furrowed.

"Lucas is on his way with the medicine, buddy. Just hang tight," he sighed, rubbing a hand down his face.

Lucas was my second oldest brother.

Fuck, he shouldn't have to do stuff for me. Not after what I'd done to him.

I swallowed the guilt, standing up and going over to the sink so I could brush my teeth for the millionth time. I had begun to hate the taste of mint over the past two weeks I'd been sick. I refused to believe it was because of what happened with Coach Hannah. No. I wasn't that sensitive. I couldn't be that sensitive. It was probably the stress of exams.

I was okay. I'll be okay.

"Sorry, Mom," I whispered hoarsely as she sat next to me on the bed. She was missing her seasonal clothing launch because of me. I bet the patients weren't too happy with dad right now since he'd been cancelling a ton of appointments.

Before Mom could reply, Ethan came in through the door with the twins. Ethan was my oldest brother who had come back from college for Christmas with Lucas. The twins, Elijah and Isaiah were a year older than me.

"How is princess Emile? Feeling better, baby bro?" Eli cooed in my ear, making my lips twitch as Mom smacked him on the back of his head.

"Ow, woman. First, you drop me as a baby and now this? Someone direct me to social services!"

Isaiah rolled his eyes before giving me a minuscule smile. He was my favourite these days - not too overbearing like Ethan and not too annoying like his twin.

And well, I could never compare him to Lucas. The way Lucas treated me was all my fault.

"Mom, they're here now. You can go. Dad you as well. Please," I pleaded. I was already wasting so much of their time.

Mom started shaking her head but Isaiah spoke up.

"Mom, we're here. If the fever comes back we'll call immediately. We promise."

"You guys promise?" Dad repeated, giving us a stern look.

We nodded and Eli pushed them out, making shooing motions which got him another whack.

He came back with a snicker before stopping to look at me. I squirmed, looking away from his observant eyes.

"This is the perfect time to put a wig on him, you guys." I snapped my eyes back to Eli, rolling my eyes.

Up until I was six, they used to dress me up as a girl. Mom stopped after she had me and came to terms with the fact that she won't have a girl to spoil. My parents were so sure it would be a girl the fourth time that they bought everything pink. I was seven when I got the chance to wear something blue.

"Eli, stop." Isaiah scolded his twin as Ethan shook his head before going back to playing Mario Kart.

"I'm serious," Eli insisted, "even girls at school are jealous of how pretty he is. Which, by the way, is kind of annoying, Emile. Can you just fuck off so they have a chance to appreciate my beauty as well?"

"What beauty?" Lucas asked dryly from the door, coming in with two more people behind him.

Dylan trailed behind him with probably the only person who I had ever had a crush on.

You still do.

Shut the fuck up, brain.

"Emile, I heard you were sick." Even her voice was sweet.