Settled

Ciel, Elizabeth, and Sebastian spent the rest of the day outside or playing games together. It was one day Ciel could be a kid with the excuse of Sebastian's age.

By the time dinner rolled around, he sat at the table with Elizabeth and Sebastian as Tanaka placed their plates in front of them. Elizabeth chattered on about how much fun she'd been having that day with Ciel, and how thrilled she was that he was opening up and being more expressive. Ciel nodded along politely, though he kept an eye on Sebastian, who quietly sat in his special chair and played with his toy cat.

Ciel felt a strange sense of peace fall over him. After the chaos of the past days since Sebastian became an infant, things had finally slowed down. Finally, they had reached the top of the mountain and everything felt like it would be alright. All downhill.

One could only hope.

Elizabeth's carriage came to pick her up after dinner, and she rushed off with a hug and a giggle in a flurry of pink before quiet settled on the old manor once more, aside from the gentle breathing of Sebastian, who held to Ciel peacefully.

Ciel carried him up to his room as Tanaka changed him into his nightshirt, Sebastian already laying on the bed with a coo as Ciel climbed up beside him as usual. Ciel recalled once saying that this was only because they hadn't a crib for him 'yet'.

Sebastian nuzzled up to his chest. Ciel recalled once turning away from him in protest, only for the boy to climb right over him and do it again.

Ciel pulled Sebastian closer as he gently kissed his forehead.

"Goodnight, Sebastian..." He whispered into the darkness.

"Night, Cell..." The darkness whispered back.