2

Gavin

The little hotel I was staying at was really nice. They had two pools, a tennis and basketball court outside, and even a theater room. We honestly need more people like this in the world. When looking for a place to stay, someone had told me about this place. I couldn't believe it at first. Who would believe someone would let them, a stranger, stay in their house for free?

As soon as Kayla was done showing me the house I went back to my room. I went straight into fixing the faucet. Fixing things either helped me to think or gave me a distract. This time, I needed a distraction.

My Uncle Terry had just passed a week ago. That was the only reason I was in Georgia. Otherwise I'd be at work. Jason and Johnson definitely would have made sure of it. The funeral was going to be here and all of my family was coming down. They weren't really coming down for the funeral, they were coming down to see if he left anyone anything.

Uncle Terry had never married, but had one child who died in a car crash a few years back. The devastation tore him into pieces. He left his home in South Carolina and moved down here. I came down every once in a while to check on him and make sure he was doing alright. Uncle Terry was a father to me growing up. Susanna's passing hurt me like a ton of bricks, too. In my eyes, she was like an older sister.

My messed up family weren't ever around and they only came if they needed anything. I knew Uncle Terry would've liked this family I was staying with.  Seeing as how he only lived about 15 minutes from them in the last few years, he probably did.

I went into my bag and got out my tools. I took my tools with me wherever I went. I never knew when I'd need them.

As soon as I was almost done fixing my faucet, I got a call.

"Gav, work just isn't the same without you," I heard Layton, my best friend and co-worker, say over the phone.

"Layton, you shouldn't be on the phone. It isn't your break yet," I said rolling my eyes. It's just like Layton to be goofing around at work. Jason and Johnson were probably going to fire him and I'd have to bail him out. Wouldn't be the first time.

I worked at Jason and Johnson Plumbing. It was the best plumbing company in my town. And I knew for sure, not just with pride, that I was the best worker. I always had to keep the other guys in line and I was called in the most because I was the hardest worker.

"You sound like you're the boss," he grumbled. "You better be glad I'm not the real boss because if Jason and Johnson saw you on your phone-"

"Speaking of, I gotta go." Click. That's exactly what I thought.

After finishing up the faucet in my room, I decided that I'd work on the other faucets later and stop by my Uncle Terry's house.

My Uncle Terry lived in a one story home with no basement. Looking at it from the outside, it was a really nice house. 3 bed and 2 and a half bath.

"Good evening, are you Gavin Jackson?" A woman asked at my apartment door. "Uh, yeah. How can I help you?"

"I'm Terry Jackson's lawyer. Cassandra Terrin." My heart stopped briefly. I knew what this was about. Uncle Terry always joked that if he died, he had something special for me. And I always told him that if he died I'd never forgive him. I wouldn't accept anything from his dead body.

I opened the door wider for her to come in. "You can sit on the couch." The lawyer was very beautiful. Chestnut hair, slim, and green eyes. I internally shook my head knowing that's why Uncle Terry picked her.

"He's dead, isn't he?" I asked trying to suppress the heartache that was growing at an exponential rate. She nodded and gave me a sympathetic smile.