6

Gavin

Sitting with my family at the Golden Corral table made me too nauseous to eat. I had one plate and was done. What a waste of money. I hated Golden Corral and they knew that.

"So Gavin, you found a nice place for my brother's funeral," Aunt Tammy asked eyeing me down waiting to criticize. I eyed her back.

"A church," I replied with confidence. She'd never disrespect the church. Even if she never went. None of us did. She hmph-ed and continued eating her chicken leg.

"Well, that's a good place," Uncle Richard said with a closed mouth smile trying to be encouraging. His efforts were never useful. He was too wrapped around Tammy's finger. Another hmph was added coming from Aunt Teresa.

I held back my own grunt and let them continue their conversation trying to be to myself. Ethan kept trying to start conversation with me and I knew he was purposefully ignoring the hint that I wasn't in the mood.

"Of course Tanya is late. It's not like she wants to be here anyway," I heard Aunt Teresa say. It was clear she was dying for more gossip than they'd already yakked about.

"Who cares! If she doesn't come at all, good riddance," Aunt Tammy started, "I bet she'd skip it too. Like she did Susanna's." My heart burned thinking of Susanna's funeral. I wanted to flip the table just thinking of the way they acted.

"It'd be shame if she missed her own brother's funeral, though."

"Again, I wouldn't be surprised. Her and that stuck up son of hers think they're so much better than us. Death favors no one."

I looked at them disgusted. I'd forgotten how good the air was without them around. I needed a breather.

"Excuse me," I said standing up. Before anyone could say anything, I headed for the front door. Sitting on the bench I sighed running my hand through my hair. I laid my head back and closed my eyes.

I just wanted Uncle Terry to be here. At least when he was around I didn't have to deal with them alone. He knew exactly what it was that'd get them to shut up or go somewhere else. I needed that in this moment. Uncle Terry loved his sisters very much so. They meant a lot to him even if he didn't mean one penny to them. He'd do anything for them and that was the problem; they knew that.

"Gavin?' I heard someone say. I lifted my head to see my cousin Kent. Son of Tonya. He, of course, was dressed in a polo shirt and khakis. He spoke, breathed, and dripped Harvard. I was working my way up to being irritated but I was already too tired.

"Hey, Kent," I sighed. "Is the family in there already?" he questioned. I nodded sitting up. A car door slammed shut and looked at his Porsche to see a petite blonde. Margo. On her hip was their son, Trent Jr.

"Hi, Gavin," she said while waltzing past me and walking straight in. Trent followed giving me a sorry smile on his way. Not long after, my Aunt Tonya and her husband Chad pulled up in their Rolls Royce. Her black Louis Vuitton's stepped and soon I could see her fully. She wore a red dress that stopped right below the knees. Her nose scrunched as she looked at Golden Corral. Her eyes landed on me.

"Gavin," she greeted formally. "Aunt Tonya."

"How are you?" she asked walking toward me. I let the clicks of her heels stop before I answered. "I'm doin' just fine," I lied.

"Mm. Is everyone inside? I assume since I saw Richard's dust covered pick up truck," she said with disgust. I nodded letting her know she was right.

"How are you, Gavin?" Chad smiled tightly... forced. "I'm alright, Chad. How about yourself?"

"Just doing business."