7

Kayla

The look on Gavin's face said he was not happy his family was staying here. It was completely evident, but Mama just couldn't say no. That was her problem sometimes. And I understood her, but in some instances there needed to be a no.

Mama would be dealing with all of them personally except for the girl, whose name was Jesse, with the three kids. They would be staying across from Gavin which meant I had to make sure everything was spick and span for them. I took one look at those kids and knew it would not stay spick and span for long.

After our little conversation I showed Jesse and the kids their room. The kids immediately began jumping on the bed and rummaging through the refrigerator.

"I don't need to tip you do I?" Jesse asked as if that was an awful idea. I felt like saying yeah just to tease, but I had a feeling she knew how to shake her way out of those situations.

"No, consider it a kind gesture from my heart," I said placing her bags in her room. I never did that, but I guess they were confused. I stood there awkwardly waiting for any other questions. I watched awkwardly as she took off her shoes and then her coat. She plopped onto the bed and got on her phone completely ignoring her nagging kids who kept picking up random items to show her.

"Oh, do you do room service?" she turned to me and asked. I smiled politely. "No ma'am. Breakfast, lunch, and dinner is served in the kitchen and dining room areas," I said and watched her frown.

"However, I would like to know what kinds of snacks you and your children like. We do like to give you those."

She raised an eyebrow. "You see these children, honey," she pointed toward them. Her boys were wrestling while her one girl was in her makeup making her self look more like a clown than a Barbie.

"They don't need snacks. Me, I need all the snacks you can muster up. Combos, Cheese Itz, Popcorn - the sweet kind - and some Coke." My eyes widened at the last one, but then I realized what she meant.

I hurried away from her room turning around to see Gavin leaning on his door with his arms crossed. There was scowl on his face while he shook his head. He actually looked really attractive standing there like that.

"It's a shame. Man tries to get some peace and his family has to come and ruin it."

"What do you mean?" I asked curiously. He stood up straight sighing. He nodded toward his room. I walked in and he closed the door. I sat on his bed looking up at him.

"I hate talking about this," he said more so to himself. "My family... they're a handful. I'm sorry I brought them here. Jesse is just like her mother and she will work you like a dog. You don't have to be her servant."

I gave him a reassuring smile. "I'm here to serve. It's what I do. I like to do it."

He sighed and rubbed his forehead. "You don't understand."

"It's alright, Gavin. We've dealt with difficult people before," I assured him. He rolled his eyes and threw his hands in the air. "Fine. I'm just warning you that my family is a hassle and you should kick them out."

I shook my head. We always gave people a chance when they weren't a serious threat. If the Holy Spirit wasn't telling us to refuse, then we weren't refusing. We only turned someone down once. That mistake crushes me anytime I think of it.

I saw another key other than our own on his nightstand. "That's your Uncle Terry's house key?" I asked. He looked at the key.

"Oh no. I don't actually know what the key is for. It was in the will," he shrugged nonchalantly. I felt an urge to ask him more about it.