22

Gavin

The day after Christmas, at 1 AM, Kayla and I were outside listening to her jazz music. We were in complete silence. Me eating my Oreos and her knitting. She had just told me her mother and Willie's stories. I couldn't help but think of the two different outcomes.

Two people in situations they couldn't really control that led to more unfortunate experiences in their lives. Yet one lived in a mansion now while the other was still living in his old car.

Pride and shame was Willie's problem. I oftentimes saw it in myself. Pride because I felt I needed to take care of myself. Shame because my mother left me. Neither of which I really needed to feel.

As I continued to think of this later that day, I made a few decisions.

I drove over to where Willie was staying. I told Kayla that I was going to the bank to put the money Uncle Terry had given me away. That was true, but I didn't mention my extra stop.

Willie was reasonably surprised to see me without Kayla. He was outside of his car, searching through a grocery cart.

"What's going on, son?" He asked seeming a bit worried. "Can I sit?" I asked pointing to the passenger side. He nodded as well as went to the driver's side.

"What did you want to talk about?" He asked with a kind smile on his face. "I have a late Christmas gift for you," I said. I had wrapped $10,000 up and put a bow on it.

He looked at me suspiciously before hesitantly taking the money. He slowly unwrapped it. For a few long seconds, he just stared at it. I got myself ready for the argument.

"I don't need this," he said, laughing nervously. He reached to hand it back to me, but I refused pushing it back toward him.

"I want you to have it," I said. "I don't need help, man," he said a little more forceful now.

"Willie, listen. It's okay to get help. No one deserves to live like this."

"I do! You don't know what I did, man," he said. His eyes were watering and his hands were shaking.

"I do, actually. You hit a kid with your car. I get that's traumatic. But you can't continue to live in the past."

The tears were spilling now, and he began to shake his head. I continued anyway.

"Forgiveness exists. God forgives, plenty of people forgive. Even I'm beginning to learn how to forgive. Holding on only drags us down. As you can see. Let it go and accept God's forgiveness. It's the only way you can really live again."

His crying turned into sniffling. A big sigh came from him. His eyes closed for a minute.

"You're right. I've been punishing myself," he admitted. "It's been a hard life. But I made it harder for myself."

"Will you please accept the money? Get an apartment. Some clothes. Get a job. I'm fixing the car for free. You don't have to spend money on that, so just save the rest."

He began to laugh. "If only it were this simple for everyone else out here on the streets. Thank you, Gavin. Really," he said reaching out his hand. I took it and did a shake.

On my way back to the Morgan's, I stopped by a donut shop to get me and Kayla some donuts. Right next door was a mechanic shop.

Now Hiring.

***

One more chapter!!!