Chapter 2

"What happened to 'her life will become a living hell'?" Gideon asked.

Being honest with himself, he was glad Sebastian had controlled his rage. There was something about her that called to him. The 'him' that was slightly more human than Sebastian, if only by a bit. But as glad as he was that Sebastian didn't hurt her, he was curious as to why. Yesterday's Sebastian was a man of his word. If he said he was going to dance in one's entrails, he danced. This was a different man.

"She's clueless." The older vampire all but growled. Someone was playing a dangerous game while using the woman as a pawn. And while he ate people to survive, he tried to avoid killing innocents. It didn't always work, but damn him, he tried.

"She may be acting." Gideon leaned back in his chair. He knew better. Didn't he already try to interrogate her? But sometimes it was fun playing the devil's advocate.

"No. She's not."

"Are you certain? This is your life we are talking about."

"Which is why she isn't going anywhere." Sebastian ran his hand through his hair.

"Well, it's been awhile since we have held a prisoner here. I suppose I could ask Essie to dust the shackles." Gideon hid his smile behind his hand.

Sebastian shook his head. Why did that thought bother him? "No, she's done nothing to deserve that."

"Then what do you propose?"

That was the problem. He didn't know. He couldn't be honest with her. A tiny bit of supernatural and she damn near lost her mind. Granted, she had been through something traumatic and he hadn't exactly been gentle.

Gentle.

No, he was a brute, pushing and prodding at her while she was vulnerable. But what else was he supposed to do?

"I need to know who did this. And while it damn sure wasn't her, she's the only link," Sebastian said. "When do the others get back?"

"Micah should be back tonight with Alex. Gabe's going to be away a while longer. And who knows about Fallon."

"I want to introduce her to them after I let them know they can't touch her. I'm not going to die because one of my friends thinks she's a snack."

"Again, do you think that's... wise? The others should be able to control themselves, but Fallon..." Gideon trailed of. Fallon wasn't the most stable in the best of times. Sometimes, he questioned his decision to bring him into their home.

"I'll watch out for him." Sebastian stood. "Damn me, why did I have to save her."

"Because you were bored."

~~~ 

The next time Eve woke, she carefully looked around the room. Wouldn't do to have someone else pop in on her. But no, that was a dream, right? Had to be a dream. People didn't do what he did. Couldn't do what he did. She sat up and swung her legs off the bed. Moving quickly, she took her things and bolted for the bathroom. After taking care of necessities, she dressed in her own clothing and felt a little bit steadier.

Leave. She had to get out of that house. If she wasn't going to wake up, then she had to get away from the man that wanted to hurt her. Did hurt her. Bruises circled her wrist where his fingers dug into her.

Her coat was hanging on a hook beside the door. Shrugging into it, she frowned at the ripped cloth. Oh well, worry about that later. Grabbing the knob, she twisted, pulled, and ran face first into a body. A surprised shout broke from her as hands grabbed her arms, keeping her on her feet.