Chapter 9

"Yes, we need to talk," he said.

She repressed a shiver at the tone in his voice. Was he going to tell her what she already knew? It was time to get rid of the marks. Time for her to go back to her life. To get out of theirs.

Sebastian finally moved, sitting in the chair he claimed his first night in her room. His face was as devoid of emotion as Gideon's.

She turned, swinging her legs off the bed. Her body still ached from whatever it was that she did earlier but she could hide it. Besides, it was nothing compared to the pain in her heart.

"Well, men," she said, trying desperately to keep her voice light. "This is what we were wanting, right?"

Eve stood, aware of the eyes on her. They could watch, but she wasn't going to let them see just how much this was going to destroy her. Just how far past 'caring' she had gone. She could leave them in peace. Take the danger that was following her back to Iowa. They would be free to live out forever in their sanctuary.

"Micah won't have to worry about me waking him out of sleep because something scared me." She glanced at him, smiling in his general direction. Don't look too long. He might see something. She certainly didn't want pity. "And you!" She pointed at Sebastian. "I could have killed you." She laughed. "The exact thing we were worried about came true."

"Eve—" Gideon said but she wasn't going to listen. Wasn't going to hear him say the words.

"You don't have to tell me to leave, Gideon. I'm going." She turned away, blinking. The storm. Shit.

She spun back around. "The storm. Do you have snow chains? I can use them and then... Damn, logistics. How do I get the car back to you? Because I'm not going to keep it." She knew she was rambling, but as long as she was running off at the mouth, she didn't have to worry about breaking down in front of them. Wasn't their fault. None of it was.

"Are you in that much of a hurry to get away from us?" Sebastian finally spoke, his voice low, almost a purr, but dangerous. "You're willing to drive off in the middle of a snow storm?"

"Well, not tonight." She waved her hand at him. Trust her to pull out and start crying and end up back in the river.

"How soon are you thinking?" Gideon asked.

"Oh, hell, who's in a hurry now." She forced a laugh through the lump forming in her throat. She glanced back at Sebastian. "You won't have to worry about your heart anymore."

His lips twisted.

"Okay, gentlemen." She had to get them out of her room. She was so close to losing it and she would be damned if she cried in front of them. "If we are through with this 'talk', I hurt down to a cellular level and would like to get a shower and some sleep. Mom was right. It's been a really long day."

Sebastian shook his head. No, she had one more night to spend with them. And it was going to be the most excruciating night he ever had in his long long life.

"Not in here."

She looked at him and he smiled. "I'm still in danger," he said with a shrug. "Until tomorrow night." He almost felt bad at the panicked look on her face. But as it was, he buried the feelings he had developed for her. He knew better then to let that happen. But somehow, she slipped through the cracks in his walls and touched him in a place he thought long dead.

Micah stood and Eve watched him leave the room without a word. Frowning, she turned as Gideon spoke. "I know it's been a trying day, so, I bid you a good night. But I will talk to you tomorrow. And you will listen."