Chapter 3

A knock at the door woke her.

Was it Sebastian? Did it matter? If it was him, she'd close the door in his face and go about her business. Or stay in bed.

The knock came again.

Sitting up, Eve winced at the pain in her head. Damn whiskey. "Coming!" she called out, swinging her legs off the bed.

She had no idea what time it was, what day it was and barely who she was. Naps tended to have that effect on her. Especially those fueled by booze and self-pity. Closing her hand around the knob, she gave a brief prayer that it wasn't her boogie man on the other side. Finally, she took a breath and opened it.

Essie stood on the other side holding a glass of water and a small tray with two tiny pills. "Master Sebastian said you might be wanting this, miss."

Eve was tempted to tell Essie that she could tell master Sebastian he could kiss her ass, but the banging inside her head begged for the water and aspirin. The smile that sprung out of nowhere irritated her. Why should she be pleased that he thought about her comfort? He didn't when he left her standing in her room, body on fire for him. Begrudgingly, she accepted the gifts.

"Thank you, Essie," she said, trying to wipe the smile off her lips. "Evidently, I can't keep up with them in drinking." She swallowed the pills and washed them down with the water.

Essie frowned at her for a moment. "Of course ya can't. Why would ya try?"

It was Eve's turn to frown. "What do you mean?"

Gideon stepped into view, right behind Essie and cleared his throat. The older woman spun to him and put her hands on her hips. "Why doesn't she know?"

"Know what?" Eve just decided that her life was going to be one of confusion from that moment on.

"We... haven't exactly had time for heart to heart chats, Essie. Things like that take time." Gideon ducked his head and Eve had to hold in the laugh. He looked like a little boy.

"Well, ya need to be making the time. Three days, Gideon. Else I'll do it myself." She took the glass of water from Eve before turning and nearly storming down the hallway.

"Gideon? What do I need to know about?"

He sighed and ran his hand through his hair. "Let me get with the others. Discuss some things with them. Then, we'll talk."

"Promise?" she asked. Something about him told her that he didn't give his word lightly.

"Be careful what you ask for, Eve." He took her shoulders in his hands. "You're not going to want to hear what we have to say, but yes, I promise." His fingers tightened on her, a breath away from hurting her before he let go. "I came up here to ask if you would be joining us for dinner. You don't have to, you can eat here if you wish."

Stay in her room.

Then she wouldn't have to look at Sebastian. But no, she wasn't a coward. And besides, she liked the others. Why should she deny herself their company? "I'll come with you." She wished her voice matched her bravado but the smile on Gideon's face made it worth it.

He turned and held out his arm and she tucked hers through it, making sure to not touch his skin. Together they walked to the dining room. She was laughing at a comment he made about how the builders thought he was on drugs when he told them how he wanted the layout of the house when they entered the room.

There was a hint of anger and something else... Jealousy? There was barely time to register it before it disappeared. She looked up and met Sebastian's eyes at the end of the table. Screw him. Well, not in the biblical sense. Already tried that. Holding her head high, she walked at Gideon's side.