Chapter 15 and Epilogue

***

"I can't be more of an asshole," Fallon said, tossing her, once again, on his bed. As she landed, he turned his back.

"I don't know that I can argue that," she said, her teeth almost clipping her tongue at the bounce. "I mean, I am a person, not a sack of flour."

He glanced back at her, the corner of his mouth she could see turned up in a grin. "But I like the idea of knowing your luscious ass is right beside my teeth."

"And then, there is your brutal honesty." She shoved her hair back over her shoulder.

He said nothing to that, just crawled up on the bed beside her. His hands grabbed her, pulling her body up beside him. "Mmm." His breath feathered her skin and she sighed with a smile.

"Brute," she said, trying to push out of his arms.

His fingers dug into her waist and she stopped struggling. "Sleeping with me tonight," he said and she smiled.

"Yes, I'm sleeping with you tonight. But, I need a shower."

He froze and she pushed away, freeing herself. She laughed before bolting for the pitiful security of the bathroom. She just needed a moment to herself. A second to breathe.

Turing the water on, she stripped before stepping into the heat. As the hot water streamed over her, she closed her eyes, the events of the day crashing into her. Could it have only been hours since Gideon's and Sebastian's words of love? Since something tried to kill her? Since something tried to steal her?

She was able to get the shampoo rinsed before her knees gave out and she knelt under the weight of it all. Her tears mixed with the water, flowing silently down the drain. She shifted, sitting on her bottom, pulled her legs up and silently wept against her knees.

"I'm sorry, Eve."

She lifted her head, meeting his eyes as he stood on the other side of the shower doors. She shrugged. "It's been a long night." Her arms tightened around her legs. "I'll live." She took a breath. "Why are you in here?"

"I heard you." His words were soft. He heard her crying. So much for the silence she wanted.

"I'm okay," she said. "But you need to go back in there." She waved her hand in the direction of the door.

"Just this once." His words were almost a threat and she laughed.

She blinked and he was gone. Finishing the shower, she shut the water off, towel dried her hair then eased into his robe. She was too tired to care if he would mind. He wanted her to sleep with him. Well, this was her sleepwear.

Her steps were soft as she walked back into his room and crept onto the bed. He was laying on the far side, back to her. He was probably tired as well. A lot had happened.

She combed her hair out before easing down under the blankets. She switched off the lamp and lay still. Fallon didn't have to breath, so she had no way of knowing if he was asleep or not.

"Fallon?" her voice was barely a whisper, not wanting to wake him because she was selfish.

"Eve?" he replied and she couldn't help the smile.

"Can you..."

"What did I tell you?"

She took a breath. "Would you hold me?"

He didn't answer but he turned, facing her. His voice was soft when he spoke. "You'll learn there is very little I won't do for you, princess."

His hand brushed her cheek and she let the darkness take her sigh.