Chapter 14

Fallon's voice cut through the comfortable silence.

"Gideon."

Eve looked over Sebastian's shoulder as his arms tightened around her. She didn't much care for the tone in his voice either.

"Did he get away?" Gideon took a step closer to her, trapping her between him and Sebastian.

"Nope. I've got him... contained. But our unwelcome visitors are gone."

"That's a bad thing?" she asked.

Fallon's eyes dropped to hers. "Considering I had them locked in the basement, yeah, it's a bad thing."

"Was the door—." Gideon started to ask.

""Yep, still locked, key where I left it. They had to have done it from the inside."

She looked up at Sebastian's growl. "The marks. I'll bet everything..." He glanced down at her before pressing his lips to hers. The feel of them almost made her forget the danger around them. She already knew that touch was devastating to her now, but this was on another level. She shivered and the way Gideon's arms pulled at her immediately brought to mind her dream.

"Behave." Gideon said in her ear and his breath traveled through her to settle in her womb. He was one to talk.

"Gideon and I will go investigate. Stay with Fallon, he'll keep an eye on you."

Sebastian kissed her again and her fingers gripped his shirt.

"Please, I'm begging, Sebastian, be careful." She forced the hunger for them aside and her body almost cried out at the pain of the coming separation.

"Why do I have to babysit?" Fallon asked and she threw him a look. Babysit? Really?

"Fine. Besides, I'm not much of a procrastinator. Why put off till tomorrow what can be said tonight."

He gave her a grin and she swallowed.

The men protecting her took off and with the new vision, she could almost see them run. She closed her eyes, but that didn't help. That half a second could replay itself over and over on the back of her eyelids.

"It won't last, princess." His voice was closer to her now and she opened her eyes to find him watching her with a disarming smile.

"How long? Because this is too much." His eyes pulled at her, willing her to lose herself in them. Hints of black toyed with chocolate and caramel and all she wanted to drown in that darkness.

"Not soon enough," he groaned, taking her hand before turning away from her. "Don't get any naughty girl ideas, but I'm taking you to my room. I don't like being by the windows. Easy targeting."

Walking quickly, he almost had to drag her a couple of times when something caught her attention. Like the atrium.

The green was breathtaking and she could almost see the life that pulsed through the veins of the massive fronds. Vibrant and breathtaking. How could they bear this? How could they deal with the nearly visible light running through the veins of the leaves, the vibrancy of the color of the flowers?

He looked back at her and followed her look when her feet stumbled. He stroked the softness of her cheek and her eyes focused on him with an intensity that had him cursing himself. "That's nothing compared to your eyes," he said before laughing at the expression on her face. Tugging on her hand, he got them moving again.

As they passed the indoor pool, she balked again. "Why is the water pink?" she asked. It wasn't actually pink, but there was a hue to it that she could see.