↳ PART EIGHT

PART EIGHT

★ ★ ★ ★

rosamund p.o.v

[ few days later ]

    ITS BEEN DAYS since i last saw or spoke to bruce or anyone, besides jim, for that matter.
my fist collided hard with the old, patching boxing i call a friend. pulling it back to chest, thoughts of bruce ran through my head. the opposite hand hit the bag even harder than the other one. bruce and this cat girl came up in the mix. both hands flying into the bag. one straight after another. i breathed out through my nose, anger building up in me. just bruce came up again, my pace started to slow at the thought of him. maybe i should go check on him. just say i'm under jim's orders. stepping away from the punching bag i just look at it. i'll go check on him. smiling, i grabbed my duffel bag. slightly skipping as i exited the gym at my old, run down apartment.

★ ★ ★ ★

   i walked down a similar road i had walked down a few times. i walked closer and closer towards the wayne's front door. memories from the first time i stepped foot on the wayne's property with jim flooded into my brain. i hesitated as i approached the door. i just looked at it for a while, second guessing my idea. but before my brain could progress what to do alfred had already opened the door for me. taken by surprise i stepped back a little. "hello rosamund. how may i help?" he asked me in his polite tone, one hand placed behind his back and the other on the door handle. i smiled at him. "i was just stopping by to see how bruce and yourself were" placing both hands behind my back. i slightly rocked back and forth on my heels. "we both are very well, thanks to you and jim" he said, stepping aside so i could walk in. "i'm glad to here that" smiling i walked past him, looking around slightly at the room i had slightly forgotten the look of. "how are you, rosamund?" he asked closing the door behind me, walking past me and down the main hall, passing a flight of stairs. "i'm well. few cuts and bruises but that's all part of the job" smiling as i said it. there was a moment of silence in amongst us as i looked around a little bit more. "bruce is just down the hall if you would like to speak to him" alfred said. i sound around to look at him, butterflies becoming present in my stomach at the mention of bruce. "i think he would like to talk to you anyways" alfred said in a little smile. "alright. thank you alfred. i'll see ya when i see ya" i said as i saluted him. i made my way down the hall slowly and quietly. i jumped at the surprise of a noise being made just through the door beside me. the same door i first met bruce at. i'm guessing it was him. i walked up to it. no fear or stress left in me. i knocked twice on wooden door then bringing my fist back down to my side waiting for an answer. "come in" a muffled voice spoke through the door. i hesitated a little but soon placed my hand on the door handle, twisting it. the other hand placed gently on the wooden door pushing it open slowly, popping my head through the crack to look inside. my eyes soon landed on bruce. he had his back to me, looking at papers. the rest of my body soon followed through the crack i had made in the door. once i was fully in, i turned around and quietly closed the door. "it's me" i spoke still standing by the door. bruce turned around, a little confused as to not recognising my voice. his eyes landed on me and then he suddenly remembered who i was. he smiled at me, as if we were old friends. "hello, quinn rosamund" he said, placing down the paper he was looking at before i interrupted. "how are you, bruce?" i asked, folding my arms across my chest, smiling softly at him. "i'm doing a lot better, thank you" he said, sitting down on his couch. "how about you, rosamund" he said sitting up straight. i started to walk around a little bit. "quinn. call me quinn" i smiled at him. "o-ok" he chocked out. "i'm doing well, thank you" i said, looking about this little office type place bruce is always in. i could hear bruce her off the couch. "i wanted to say thank you" he said, i turned around to look at him. "for what?" i said, actually facing him now. he slowly made his way towards me. my heart began to race. "for, um, saving me, kinda" he said smiling nervously and awkward. "oh, it's all why i was hired" i said jokingly to him. his smile slightly dropping. "i hear you no longer want to stay here, quinn" he turned around facing away from me. "oh, yeh, i'm staying with jim" the words came out of my mouth awkwardly. he started to walk towards a chess set, all placed in the correct places, looked like it hadn't been played in a while. "and you've given up the job, i also hear" bruce said, face full of disappointment and also a little anger. "yeh. i'm sorry but i just couldn't do it" i tried to explain. my voice fading out a little at the end of the sentence. i looked down to avoid any looks bruce may give me. "no, it's ok" he shrugged, saying that sentence a lot more calmer than i expected. an awkward silence fell between us. neither one knowing what to say. bruce stood over the chess set. looking down onto it, both hands placed neatly behind his back. "do you play?" i asked, walking a bit closer to him. i looked at his face, him looking down at chess pieces. "i don't much since my dad was killed" he told me in full honesty. "i'm so sorry" feeling full empathy for him. "if you need someone to play with, i'm only a phone call away" i said trying to lighten the mood, smiling at him. "really?" he looked up making eye contact, a small smile started to pull on the corners of his mouth. "of course" a childish, toothy grin came to play on my face. we just looked at each other for a bit, the tension that usually swims around us was no longer there. "i best be going. i hope to see you soon, bruce" i said sticking a hand out in front of me, inviting bruce to shake it. "like wise, quinn" he said while placing his hand in mine, lightly shaking it. i let my hand linger as long as possible. still looking at bruce in front of me, smiling over the new friendship i had made with him. we both pulled our hands back to our sides. i began to make my way back over to the door i had come in. still slightly smiling. i reached the door, one hand placed on the door handle. turning my head back over my shoulder, i was surprised to see bruce already looking back. "see ya, brat" i smiled at him, jokingly. "goodbye, quinn" he smiled back. i pulled open one of the doors, slipping through the opening and closing the door behind me.

★ ★ ★ ★

   once again i was bored waiting next to jim's desk. i always seem to find myself here. i thought over me and bruce's conversation from today. he was surprisingly gentle with me and not his normal rude self. didn't make much sense. a man caught my eye. he shuffled his feet and limped around instead of walking properly. he wore a tired old suit and his black hair stuck up in different directions. he and the man he was talking to had cuts along and across their faces. the limping guy started to walk about, shuffling and limping towards the exit, mysterious grin on his face. visible electric started sparking from the ceiling, clinging to the metal arch's above us. it shattered, small bits of electricity falling from the ceiling. people started to panic and scare. i sat forward slightly watching from the chair still seated. electricity repeated itself all around the office, light fittings above us beginning to break, small bits of glass and electricity falling onto people. the electricity began to zap people. reaching out from the ceiling and spikes them. people started falling to the floor. lights went out. the people behind bars, holding onto the bars began to shake violently, being electric shot. i stood up, and as i did a a small part of electricity jumped from the ceiling landing in me. i could feel it zapping it's way through my veins. jim came running for me, electricity slightly zapping him also. slight bits glass stared falling on top of me as jim approached me, but everything went dead. everyone dropped to the floor, unconscious. i myself soon did the same. everything turned a void black as i fell hard on the wooden flooring, landing on my wrist. i zoned out and just lay there in void as i heard jim call out my name repeatedly.

   i watched as jim received his badge back, holding my wrist to help keep it still and stop the pain. i just had twisted it as i fell. everyone seemed to be ok. a few cuts and dizziness amongst everyone but no one was badly injured. i also noticed the guy with the back hair before was gone. i looked over at harvey who was watching jim. a mirrored facial expression on his face, looking like mine. we both watched jim and the flashes of cameras go off.

★ ★ ★ ★

2018 | duhaddy